• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Best way to communicate internationally frm Sweden

Need advice on telephony/VoIP please

Talk2Oz
post 7.Aug.2013, 02:35 PM
Post #1

Hello all,

I am an Australian who is coming to live in Stockholm for 10 months in October. I need to stay in close contact with a sick family member in Australia while I'm away and am looking for help with ways to do so that don't involve sitting at a desk with skype. Ideally, I would be fully mobile -- ie walking around Stockholm -- and able to talk, without it costing the earth.

Does anyone have advice on a device (iphone? ipad?), means (phone card? 3G plan with a telecoms provider?), app (skype? some other VoIP?) to assist?

thanks so much!
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 7.Aug.2013, 03:24 PM
Post #2

I use the following
https://www.freecall.com/
+
Rick Methven
post 7.Aug.2013, 04:47 PM
Post #3

I use skype out on my mobile to call landlines in other countries. As it is bandwith heavy you may find you use up your data allowance if you use your 3/4G connection but with so much free wifi around you can usually get a free wifi connection. You could be sitting in a bar with a tinny in the evening, calling the folks in Aus when they are having their breakfast.
+
Talk2Oz
post 8.Aug.2013, 01:34 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 7.Aug.2013, 02:24 PM) *
I use the following. https://www.freecall.com/

thanks for this. does it work with iphone or android only?
thanks again
+
hamdango
post 9.Aug.2013, 12:45 PM
Post #5

I use an app that you can download to your mobile phone called Viber.

If you're in connected to Wifi or 3G then you can call other people on Viber, they must also be in on wifi or 3g. It'll never charge you, the call will just ring out if one of you isn't connected.

It's came in really handy when speaking to anyone abroad and I'll be using it when I move to Sweden in October to ring back home.

The phone calls are clear as long as your Wifi signal doesn't go too low, it's a really good app.
+
Talk2Oz
post 10.Aug.2013, 03:21 AM
Post #6

Thanks, hamdango!
I think I might need to rely on 3G so I am really mobile, and not tied to wifi spots. I wonder if anyone has advice about the best 3G plan might be, for someone living in Stockholm who has their own iphone? I believe that VOiP calls with video (Skype, Facetime) on a mobile take about 3MB per minute. Does anyone know about data usage for voice only apps? (One would expect it to be much less?)
All tips gratefully received -- this is a major issue for me for family reasons.
+
Rick Methven
post 10.Aug.2013, 05:50 AM
Post #7

According to Skype support forum, a voice only call via skype to land lines or other mobiles uses about 1mb per minute.
Tele2 have a 4G high volume contract for 489 kr per month that has free calls/SMS/MMS and 15gb of data. Unlimited skype out calls to Aussie landlines can be got for 38 kr per month.

The only problem is you need to have a personnummer in Sweden to get a contract otherwise it is PAYG which is more expensive.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com