• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Crime in Sweden

Is it really better here?

Herlie
post 18.Sep.2013, 12:58 AM
Post #1

I have lots of reasons for wanting to return to England after becoming disappointed in Sweden. Since it's not possible for me right now, I've been thinking of good things about Sweden. One of those things is that there appears to be less crime in Sweden. This is from personal perspective only. In England, I'm frightened to walk down a street alone and I'd be petrified if my daughter went missing when I turned my back. Over here I have no worries at all about such things.

Am I blinkered, though?
Go to the top of the page
+
Ivor stephé
post 18.Sep.2013, 04:17 AM
Post #2

England I see it as being more confrontational.
Whereas Sweden is more about shying away from conflict.
In terms of crime, we are seeing a much greater increase of violence in Swedish society.
But the difference between Sweden and England I believe is we tend not to talk about it as much.

Ivor
+
skogsbo
post 18.Sep.2013, 06:26 AM
Post #3

I think it depends where you live in Sweden and where you compare to in the UK. Rural Sweden is a bit like living in very rural parts of the UK, all crime is minimal, just a few thieves travelling in the countryside from the city, once in a while.

We have a quite a good group of people involved in our community perhaps 100 or so folk, scattered in a 5km radius, we've built a website for the community hall, which also feeds into facebook, twitter etc.. it's mainly for our events and for others to hire it, but if we see any suspicious cars or we get word from beyond our area of some, we can fire out the make and model, often reg nos. too, very quickly to everyone. As they often case the areas in one car during the day, returning in the night in another.

But, Swedish cities, 'appear' to have far less crime than the UK. Despite UK police forces prioritising thurs - sun for all its policing, there is still masses of crime, much of it violent and alcohol related. Then there is the Mon-Thurs theft etc Be it phone muggings, car jackings, or just 'normal' break ins. If you walk around the UK with your eyes open, it's impossible not to miss people scoping you out in train stations, street corners, multi storey car parks etc. for potential easy pickings, especially in London around tube stations. I notice very little of this in Sweden.

Some will say it's purely down to population density, I don't know, but even if it only feels safer here, then that makes life better in itself. smile.gif Or as they used to say at the end of Crimewatch in the UK, "Don't worry violent crime is rare, sleep well".
+
intrepidfox
post 18.Sep.2013, 07:03 AM
Post #4

If you take Gothenburg and London as examples.

In Gothenburg i am nervous about the crime but with a population of roughly 600,000 it is more noticable.

In London with over 8 million and alot of crime i feel safe as it is rare that you see these problems
+
deaftoned
post 18.Sep.2013, 07:15 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Herlie @ 18.Sep.2013, 12:58 AM) *
I have lots of reasons for wanting to return to England after becoming disappointed in Sweden.

What are the reasons for becoming disappointed in Sweden? I'm curious. Share the love smile.gif
+
skogsbo
post 18.Sep.2013, 07:16 AM
Post #6

according to some Times, freedom of information figures 170 iphones alone are stolen in London, every day. That's 2.125 for every 100,000 people in London. So transfer this over, Imagine just under 12 iphones stolen in Ggb every day, I'd think it would make the news? Perhaps it's happening and going unreported.

I've no idea what the figures would be for all phones, I found something quoting, 10,000 phones per month in London, but it sounds little too high.
+
Svensksmith
post 18.Sep.2013, 02:27 PM
Post #7

My family felt safe while we lived in Sweden, but as Skogsbo said, we lived in a rural area.
+
Model T Ford
post 18.Sep.2013, 02:33 PM
Post #8

I think that people who are disappointed with Sweden, or any other place, come here with false expectations. They think it will be much better than where they come from.

It will be a workers paradise, or a place where everyone finds true love, perpetual peace or a fair and just society.

You should only come to Sweden, or another place, if you are so fed up with where you live that you are willing to try any place new.

I found that this open-minded view of a new home worked very well when I moved from the States to Portugal a quarter century ago, when I moved from there to Sweden in 1996, and when I moved back to the States last December. Each move was prompted by personal considerations, not social ones, and the relocations worked out pretty well.

Just remember that you are the one who can only make you content.
+
Herlie
post 20.Sep.2013, 07:22 AM
Post #9

Thanks for the response guys smile.gif It seems my question doesn't have a concrete answer, but your replies showed me some perspective. What might be front page news here could occupy only a 'sun spot' in the UK because of the difference in population.

I have to ask, Model T Ford, what have I said that makes you think I came to Sweden for social reasons? Is it the most common reason? I mean, I understand non EU immigrants might be fleeing from something but I do wonder why any other Brit would move to Sweden for any reason other than their work brings them here. What are they expecting?
+
kreed_uk
post 20.Sep.2013, 09:52 AM
Post #10

Brits and Europeans usually come to Sweden because their Swedish partners miss their families/friends and have convinced them that Sweden is a paradise.
+
Ivor stephé
post 20.Sep.2013, 10:46 AM
Post #11

So what do you think, is it paradise
Or an abuse of the now generally defunct trade description act?
+
skogsbo
post 20.Sep.2013, 02:13 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (kreed_uk @ 20.Sep.2013, 09:52 AM) *
Brits and Europeans usually come to Sweden because their Swedish partners miss their families/friends and have convinced them that Sweden is a paradise.

I suspect that many of Brits are only too happy to leave an over crowded malfunctioning island, for the space, peace and tranquility of Sweden. It may not be totally paradise, but it's not the $hitty end of the EU stick.

I also imagine, that many Swedes also leave Sweden, to live in other EU nations for exactly the same reasons.
+
Ivor stephé
post 20.Sep.2013, 02:31 PM
Post #13

What would be really interesting would be too look at UK stats for emigration (excluding northern Ireland)
And compare the emigration with the land mass and the population numbers.

Since the UK is looking to reduce immigration, its not really something we could compare to Sweden at present.

I think the results of that could be very interesting.
I highly doubt brits are moving out specifically because of space and tranquility laugh.gif
+
skogsbo
post 20.Sep.2013, 02:40 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Ivor stephé @ 20.Sep.2013, 02:31 PM) *
I highly doubt brits are moving out specifically because of space and tranquility laugh.gif

No, not quite just that, or specifically. For me or us, we looked at here, Norway, Canada and NZ. But that's as much about the sports we enjoy and the rural life we were looking for. So space and peace, was a bi-product of hitting some of our other goals.

But the UK culture is very different, I presume you are American?

The work ethic in the UK in many industries is a killer, to progress in many industries then 10-15hrs a week of unpaid time is the norm. Then you'll probably travel home on cramped trains or drive on jammed roads, houses are squeezed into ever smaller spaces etc..

Once people get to their mid 30s onwards, they often see the light and get knackered! Which often coincides with folk settling down, so I don't think all factors are mutually exclusive, it's often a combination that makes people review their lifestyle.
+
dave.smith
post 20.Sep.2013, 03:09 PM
Post #15

It's definitely better in Sweden. In 8 years I have had 3 incidents, all minor crimes. I've experienced one run in with Swedish chav-equivalents (I think they were Iraqis), but even that was mild compared to chavs in the UK.

In the UK:

1. Beaten up, multiple
2. Mugged, once
3. Burgled, twice
4. Car vandalized, twice

In Sweden:

1. Laptop stolen, once
2. Fence broken, once
3. Threatened, once
4. Had my wife and daughter called Swedish whores (presumably because they are blonde?), once

The threat was just a testosterone match at gym, partly my fault.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options