• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

SFI for academics

Anyone here been?

seangaus
post 19.Sep.2013, 03:29 PM
Post #1

Has anyone studied this? I just got my confirmation letter today, is it still a beginners course, just faster paced? I've been here for a month, and study every day by myself and try to speak in shops etc, but I'm still very much at a beginner level. It says that there will be a selection period where my ability to study will be determined, and am just hoping to avoid the horror story which happened to someone I know who studied SFI in a smaller town ... His first week consisted learning the alphabet!
Go to the top of the page
+
chloeeff2
post 19.Sep.2013, 03:55 PM
Post #2

There is no correlation between your education level and how fast you will learn a new language, so no it's not faster paced tongue.gif
+
Model T Ford
post 19.Sep.2013, 04:08 PM
Post #3

And learning how to speak, and understand Swedish is very dependent upon how one pronounces the alphabet, especially the vowels, so it is not a waste of time for beginners starting off on the right foot.
+
StephenR
post 19.Sep.2013, 04:25 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (seangaus @ 19.Sep.2013, 04:29 PM) *
His first week consisted learning the alphabet!

You do realise that there are people in SFI from outside of the western hemisphere, yeah?
+
skogsbo
post 19.Sep.2013, 05:02 PM
Post #5

It will in all probability follow a similar trend to most. First couple of weeks will be a basic grounding in the alphabet, even if you think you've sussed it, chances are you pronounce the letters a little differently still. Knowing the alphabet in English can be a disadvantage sometimes, as not all letters and combinations of are pronounced quite the same and you can easily jump to conclusions initially, until all the rules are covered.

They'll probably also cover other basic greetings, numbers, etc. But our first few weeks also covered more in depth stuff too, they just wanted to see who could keep up or who was going to need a much slower pace of learning.

You might have a little test of two, so at the end of week 2 or 3, they can stream people according to their current ability, their potential learning style, their native language, or ability to learn through English as 2nd language. The only difference I found was that after streaming I was able to skip the B level test and move straight on, whilst others needed to cover the basics much more.

I would just give it a few months, to get going, before jumping to any conclusions.
+
lizziebizzie
post 20.Sep.2013, 06:37 AM
Post #6

So you are studying at SIFA? I started out at C level there, but most of the people in my class completed the intro level as well. I think you take a test the first day or so to determine if you should be moved into C or D level, each of which lasts 9 weeks.

Everyone in your class will have at least a bachelor's degree and will probably have quite good English so don't worry, you won't spend any time learning how to write the alphabet. You will however, spend lots of time trying to pronounce the alphabet wink.gif . My class started with Chapter 13 in Rivstart A1+A2, so I assume that the intro starts from the beginning of that book.

The teachers are good and energetic and you'll have homework every night which is helpful.
+
jdavin81
post 20.Sep.2013, 08:34 AM
Post #7

I never heard of SIFA until this post.
Seems very impressive compared to slow paced no-goal SFI classes. rolleyes.gif
I was looking in to this site http://www.stockholm.se/-/Serviceenhetsdet...7eadeb214661652

So, anyone who is doing SFI can switch to this courses? or there is any basic requirements? I am aware of SFX and SIFA is part of it?
So many different ways to learn Swedish, its get so confusing at times..

any more information is appreciated.
Thanks.
+
lizziebizzie
post 20.Sep.2013, 12:47 PM
Post #8

Jdavin, if you go to the SFX website and click on the profession/section that applies to you, you can see what you have to do to be enrolled in the course: http://sfx-yrke.se/

I'm in the SFEJ section, and its page says that you need to have a foreign academic degree, have been in Sweden less than 2 years, have a certain level of English and have at least 30 hours a week available for studying. There are different requirements if you're a craftsperson, truck driver, nurse, etc.

To get into the class you have to send in an application form and get accepted. The application due date for the next course was yesterday, but I'm sure you could email someone who works there and ask if you can submit a late application. They seem pretty flexible.
+
Thewholeorchestra
post 20.Sep.2013, 01:21 PM
Post #9

Sorry to kind of hijack this thread but I was wondering if my home kommun doesn't have SFIA, and it's something I really want to do(I have a humanities degree and I studied abroad a few years ago learning the local language 25 hours a week for 10 months, so I'm thinking I could handle the intensity), is my kommun likely to give me permission to study in Stockholm(I will be living in a neibouring kommun about 20 minutes outside the city), or are they usually greedy for the funding and keep their residents in their own SFI classes? I've been wondering about this for awhile since I have heard such great stuff about SFIA st skanstull, and also the classes at folkumiversitetet and ABF for regular SFI. I haven't heard about how lessons are in Tyresö(future kommun) but i can't imagine it's as fast paced or has start up dates as frequently as the ones I mentioned in Stockholm.
+
jdavin81
post 20.Sep.2013, 01:42 PM
Post #10

Thanks @lizziebizzie, I will look at SFX site and try to contact course co-coordinator of respective field.
I understood that SFX and SIFA is same thing just different names. smile.gif

@TheWholeOlchestra, I know the friend studying SFX IT in Tyresö. I heard from him it that course is much better than SFI. Much more faster and goal oriented. I would recommend it.
+
Gullan
post 22.Jan.2014, 08:45 PM
Post #11

Hi there,

I am currently studying SFI C and will apply for SFX for educators. As this course will be 30 hours per week, during the day, in the city I will not be able to work So I was wondering if it is possible to get some study suppliment at list to pay the travel expenses which will cost around 100 sek per day sad.gif I am from Australia which has a better system for financial help for students, and eventhough I looked through CSN web page I just did not understand anything. Dont get the system at alllllll sad.gif

Plllllsssss helpppppp

Ps. I live in Stockholm.
+
lizziebizzie
post 23.Jan.2014, 07:34 AM
Post #12

They say it's a full-time study course, but it's really only a maximum of 25 hours in class per week. There are only 2 days a week in which it goes past 12:00, so it should be possible time-wise to get a part-time job. If you live in Stockholm, why would it cost 100 SEK per day to travel to Skanstull?

To get CSN support I believe you need to have a permanent residence permit. Here is more information about the requirements: http://www.csn.se/en/2.1034/2.1036/2.1037/2.1040/1.9366
+
snarky
post 23.Jan.2014, 11:47 AM
Post #13

You can request that they allow you to go to a different SFI in a city closer to your job...this means that kommun must pay the other kommun money for your SFI time, so they do not like doing it. It will be a tough battle getting them to agree, but it very well may be worth it if your job is in another city, etc. It took me probably a good 6+ months to get my kommun SFI to approve me going to a different kommun SFI (they probably just got sick of me pestering them about smile.gif )
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options