• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Trans Fats in foods

A real danger or just over hyped?

Ivor stephé
post 20.Sep.2013, 09:23 AM
Post #1

Discussion time. I am getting bored with the endless race related issues.

Just finished reading an article in SVD regarding trans fats sold in food and being exceptionally high in Malmö, Sweden. I know Denmark has strict laws on foods, which is quite confusing given their high indulgence in other not so good for you recreations. But do you think trans fats really pose a threat ?

http://www.svd.se/nyheter/inrikes/det-nya-...590.svd?sidan=6
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 20.Sep.2013, 09:32 AM
Post #2

I've always held the belief they are pretty bad, say 8/10, sugar being maybe 6. Smoking maybe a 10. But a few grams won't harm, like most things, when every meal has them you are going to have problems in the future.
+
Svensksmith
post 20.Sep.2013, 11:19 AM
Post #3

From what I've read, they are very bad for you. They contribute to heart disease and may also contribute to stomach and colon cancers. You are better off eating natural fats and oils.
+
Model T Ford
post 20.Sep.2013, 02:55 PM
Post #4

I think that it is quite debatable to take too seriously what doctors say about diet as they are constantly contradicting themselves, and their prescriptions for improving it often have worse consequences.

They start off with all kinds of dubious assumptions about what a proper diet is when they have rarely studied it directly, and just go on from there, often ending up where they started from. It's a great area to have very strong opinions about, and they get a percentage on any medications they help sell about it.

Just eat a balanced diet in moderation, and you will be alright. Don't worry too much about taking in stuff like fats, carbohydrates, cholesterol of one sort or another, etc. It just takes the joy out of one of the few pleasures we have left.
+
skogsbo
post 20.Sep.2013, 03:59 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Model T Ford @ 20.Sep.2013, 02:55 PM) *
Just eat a balanced diet in moderation, and you will be alright. Don't worry too much about taking in stuff like fats, carbohydrates, cholesterol of one sort or another, e ... (show full quote)

yes, but trans fats, are hydrogenated or processed, there is nothing normal or natural about them. Usually only in processed foods. There is nothing positive to say about them.
+
intrepidfox
post 20.Sep.2013, 04:23 PM
Post #6

All these people talking about diets, trans fats etc is rubbish.

If you eat normaly and have a brisk walk everyday then you do not need to worry
+
Svensksmith
post 20.Sep.2013, 04:31 PM
Post #7

A natural diet, heavy on fruits and vegetables and light on sweets and fatty foods will do a person a lot of good. Eating should be enjoyable so once in awhile it's ok to indulge in some ice cream or a pizza and a few potato chips eaten occasionally aren't gonna kill you. But if you eat a diet that consists mainly of heavily processed food day after day, your health is very likely to suffer. As Jack La Lane said, "If man made it, don't eat it." It may seem like a huge sacrifice but it's better than contracting a disease and suffering poor health.
+
intrepidfox
post 20.Sep.2013, 04:35 PM
Post #8

A good reply. I love pizzas, hamburgers etc but when i do eat them i do them myself. Cheaper, tastier and all pure ingredients. All i need to do now is brew a decent 20 gallons of lager at home
+
Svensksmith
post 20.Sep.2013, 04:38 PM
Post #9

Been there, done that. The only problem was the home brew was too good and I started to develop a beer gut.
+
intrepidfox
post 20.Sep.2013, 04:44 PM
Post #10

Mind you a beer gut can be taken care off by lifting the beer glass often and frequent visits to the fridge for refills biggrin.gif
+
AgeOfReason
post 20.Sep.2013, 04:56 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Ivor stephé @ 20.Sep.2013, 10:23 AM) *
But do you think trans fats really pose a threat ?

The fact that research continues in this area shows that we are being exposed to substances that have not been proven safe, and research will always be on 2 sides, those sponsered somehow down the line by food industry and those sponsered by other interests, it will be difficult to get a conclusive picture until well into the future.

If the food industry wants to use them, and they are not naturally occuring in food-sources, then one can normally be quite sure that it is for their benefit and not yours biggrin.gif but we pay the price in health-currency through time.
+
Ivor stephé
post 20.Sep.2013, 05:31 PM
Post #12

Denmark and other nations have legislation regarding food properties.
And while I can understand that Denmark now fears they could find these banned items entering the food chain. Since Malmö is so close and many items from Malmö find there way over to Danish retailers. Do you think that we need similar rules in Sweden to prevent large food retailers like ICA, Willy's & Citygross looking to make a profit from substances that are often marketed in packaged foods towards children? or at least come with strict labelling stating the quantity of trans fat that is in the product ?
+
Svensksmith
post 20.Sep.2013, 05:54 PM
Post #13

I am usually not on the side of lots of government intervention, but in the case of public health (especially when the taxpaying public subsidizes health care) I would have to say that restricting known health hazards to be a good idea.
+
intrepidfox
post 20.Sep.2013, 06:01 PM
Post #14

Yes and no.

Every day there are reports that this and that food is dangerous for this and that sickness. I take all these reports with a pinch of salt (which they also say is dangerous) as otherwise we would never eat.

My uncle (bless him) had the idea after reading all these reports and items in newspapers that he should eat honey as the bees do not wipe their feet when they go back to the hive. Honest
+
AgeOfReason
post 20.Sep.2013, 06:42 PM
Post #15

Denmark's food legislation is in the majority the same as EU Food regulation, the main exception is that they apply special national legislation with regards fortified foods and trans fatty acids. I would guess, without looking in detail, that they either have not been challenged on this or if they have made a convincing argument most likely on the grounds of public health. Within the EU there is some, but little, room to manouver within the legislation. If Denmark was a significant market for food compared to the time and trouble it takes to get cases through the ECJ, then sooner or later they may have to bend, or the EU change the policies!
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se