• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Us citizen marrying Swede

Citizenship? How long?

melissafrank90
post 24.Sep.2013, 09:24 PM
Post #1

Hello my fiancée and I are getting married in Sweden we are in a lesbian relationship. I was wondering if I can get my citizenship changed once we get married like maybe a green card.
Go to the top of the page
+
Tall swede
post 24.Sep.2013, 09:54 PM
Post #2

You dont get citizenship that fast. You can get permission to live in Sweden (PUT), and after a few years (3-5 years depending on stuff) you can apply for citizenship. The only difference however is that you will be able to vote in national elections, cant be thrown out for any reason, can get a swedish passport and can be elected into the riksdag.
+
Marmi
post 24.Sep.2013, 09:57 PM
Post #3

Citizenship isn't something that one changes. Sweden allows dual citizenship, so when your time comes when you'll be eligible to apply for Swedish Citizenship, you'll just become a dual citizenship holder (US, and Swedish). You won't get SC just by marrying, you will have had to lived in Sweden for a certain amount of time (with a visa/permit of residence) before you can apply. Check with Migrationsverket.
+
melissafrank90
post 24.Sep.2013, 11:03 PM
Post #4

Can I still stay in the country after marriage to get everything done or will they send me back ? Thankyou for your information smile.gif
+
AgeOfReason
post 25.Sep.2013, 09:20 AM
Post #5

Unless there are special reasons, then you will have to apply for residency permit from outside of Sweden, being married makes no difference for non-EU + Swedish citizen couple.
+
melissafrank90
post 26.Sep.2013, 12:14 AM
Post #6

The special circumstance is I have no home here in the us any longer and my fiancées friends and family was to represent me in a case so that I may stay in Sweden I have no where else to go if they let me stay I can make my life there
+
Case officer
post 26.Sep.2013, 06:05 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (melissafrank90 @ 25.Sep.2013, 12:03 AM) *
Can I still stay in the country after marriage to get everything done or will they send me back ? Thankyou for your information smile.gif

No, you apply from your country of residence, not in Sweden. Not having a home outside Sweden makes no difference.
+
olga118
post 27.Sep.2013, 07:08 AM
Post #8

I don't mean to sound mean but they really don't care if you don't have a place in the USA and I don't think they would consider it special circumstances. I would think twice before taking that route because they may feel that you are trying to force their hand and they can deny your visa for any reason they want.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se