• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Where can I find real Indian, Jap and Italian food?

At restaurants in Stockholm

Funfactory
post 25.Sep.2013, 06:54 AM
Post #1

I have noticed that all 'Indian' restaurants in Stockholm are managed by non-Indian people i.e muslims from pakistan or bangladesh who make terrible food.

The Italian food is sold by people from middle east who have no idea what they are doing.

The sushi food is sold by Chinese.

Anybody know where I can find genuine and authentic food by real Indians, Italians and Japanese here in Stockholm?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page
+
Herlie
post 25.Sep.2013, 07:39 AM
Post #2

Good luck on your quest. I suspect Stockholm would be one of the only places to find such treasures. I miss having a balti, real chinese food and Italian food flair. You get plastic crap with goop on it over here. Sweden is sorely lacking in the world cuisine department.
+
Ivor stephé
post 25.Sep.2013, 09:08 AM
Post #3

Kungshallen ?
+
MissQ
post 25.Sep.2013, 09:47 AM
Post #4

True. Most of the Indian/Japanese/Italian food are not genuine

A few exceptions in my opinion

Italian
http://www.panevino.se/

Indian
http://www.indiangarden.nu/

Japanese
http://www.sambasushi.se/
http://kimamma.se/
+
Funfactory
post 25.Sep.2013, 10:12 AM
Post #5

indian garden is owned by a bangaldeshi. Nothing really authentic about his 'indian' dishes.

Thanks for the other links.
+
cherrybubble
post 25.Sep.2013, 11:10 AM
Post #6

15% of India's population is muslim (10% of the world's muslim population lives there). Up until 60 odd years ago, Pakistan, bangladesh and India were one giant country...or many many tiny states, depending on how you look at it. North indian food (which is the predominant "indian" cuisine available in sweden) is very much like Pakistani food (based on preparation and spices). Bangladeshi food and bengali (one of the indian states) food are basically one and the same thing. And just to make this geo-politico-historical lesson even more confusing, Bangladesh was pakistan (east) up until 1971.

Some of the best "indian" restaurants I have ever been to were actually pakistani. And man, pakistanis are MUCH better at cooking meat than indians. I would prefer kebabs at a pakistani place any day of the week.

All that having been said, Holy shit, Sweden has some of the worst "indian subcontinent" food I have eaten anywhere!!!

I can also vouch for India garden tho.

And don't make the classic mistake of conflating who owns a restaurant with what kind of food they are "allowed" to make. I am not chinese by any stretch of the imagination, but my (very swedish) partner and I make chinese food that is so authentic that we have made genuine-mainland-chinese people cry with happiness when they ate it. laugh.gif
+
vicky7
post 25.Sep.2013, 11:29 AM
Post #7

Indians don't eat meat. Isn't kebab a muslim dish?
Next you'll say kebab is the national dish of sweden.

Anyway, the indians seem keen on electing anti-muslim Modi as their pm next year, so they probably reject the muslims and their foreign food culture.
+
Alexzan
post 25.Sep.2013, 11:47 AM
Post #8

Actually a lot of Indians do eat meat, and not only the muslim Indians. The vegetarian Indians usually belongs to certain casts of the Indian society and they have different rules..i.e. some of them eat meat and some don't, and different kinds of meat as well... Seems to be a common misconception that Indians don't eat meat and that they are not muslims... It's actually a very diverse country with a mix of people... different cuisines, religions, food habbits etc...
+
Funfactory
post 25.Sep.2013, 11:58 AM
Post #9

No man, kebab is not an indian dish. I think its arab or turkish?

Majority of indians are vegetarians. We don't eat with muslims or christians because of their unclean standards. If you get diarrea in india then the reason is obvious. But yeah, next year elections will be interesting, maybe we'll be getting a chance to make kebab sizzlers... wink.gif
+
Affonso
post 25.Sep.2013, 12:38 PM
Post #10

So a holy cow is more important than a moslem or Christian in your country?
+
Mark249
post 25.Sep.2013, 12:40 PM
Post #11

I thought indians were weak and docile like swedes?
+
Funfactory
post 25.Sep.2013, 12:49 PM
Post #12

Man, Killing and eating a cow is as taboo as killing and eating a horse in Europe. A cow provides many benefits like milk, butter, fuel etc. There are many health benefits with being vegetarian in our culture. No man, indians are not metrosexual like swedes. tongue.gif
+
Coolrunnings
post 25.Sep.2013, 01:05 PM
Post #13

Big contrast in hygene when visiting a paki/bong restaurant and an indian one. The indian ones usually are particular about hygene while cooking.
+
vicky7
post 25.Sep.2013, 01:43 PM
Post #14

Chinese and kebab joints are as common as mcdonalds, they're everywhere. So the tough competition is leading to an expansion into other cuisines laugh.gif

Incidentally i was in an italian café once and the owner obviosly pretended to be italian while talking to his staff in turkish. So finding the real deal is tricky in a place like sweden.
+
cherrybubble
post 26.Sep.2013, 09:26 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (vicky7 @ 25.Sep.2013, 11:29 AM) *
Indians don't eat meat. Isn't kebab a muslim dish? Next you'll say kebab is the national dish of sweden.Anyway, the indians seem keen on electing anti-muslim Modi ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Funfactory @ 25.Sep.2013, 11:58 AM) *
No man, kebab is not an indian dish. I think its arab or turkish?Majority of indians are vegetarians. We don't eat with muslims or christians because of their unclean stan ... (show full quote)

Ya'll are funny. I got curious and googled around again and apparently you're wrong.

20- 42% of Indians are vegetarians. If you know any math at all, you know that means that a majority of indians are not vegetarians. Link to wiki page

And kebabs are not indian in origin, perhaps, but man, you must be high if you imagine that Bihari kebabs did not originate in Bihar? Funfactory, dude, you seem kind of ignorant about your own country! Here is a link to indian kebabs. Enjoy! wink.gif
Indian kebabs on wiki

And the thing I like about indians, usually, is that they are usually the ones who grow up surrounded by all religions and languages and tend to be really inclusive. But I mostly know indians that grew up in urban areas, so maybe its an urban vs rural divide but man, funfactory, " We don't eat with muslims or christians because they are unclean"?? What an uninformed , narrow-minded, village-idiot thing to say, dude. Indians who read that will want to take away your indian passport in shame! laugh.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com