• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Did Swedes invent golf?

We who golf in Sweden

envoy_47
post 28.Dec.2013, 12:33 PM
Post #1

Some weeks ago I wrote to the magazine Swedish Golf telling them that in all my years playing golf in Sweden, I had met many new Swedes (immigrants) living here from the USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, the Caribbean, South Africa etc who were members of the Swedish Golf Association but I had never seen a picture of anyone in the magazine but Swedes. They told me that immigrants do not play golf!

So,by this simple fact, Swedes must have invented golf. God bless them!
Go to the top of the page
+
Hisingen
post 28.Dec.2013, 12:56 PM
Post #2

I doubt if you would get much support for your theory from the Scots.
It was they who provided the very first rules for the game back in the mid-18th Century, even if there are reports of a similar game having been played even by people as long ago as the Romans.
I, for one, would give very little odds for your survival were you to present this theory anywhere near St Andrew's. I feel that you would experience a claymore being swung for uttering such heresy.

tongue.gif

Hoots awa mon, and gang awa tha noo.

Or whatever you choose to translate that to - - -

Swedes invented golf? Must be a nutter - - (Scots mumble, Scots mumble, and shaking of head )
+
I Love L.A.
post 29.Dec.2013, 01:23 AM
Post #3

Scotland invented golf.

Next question!
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 29.Dec.2013, 02:25 AM
Post #4

Yeah!

But the Swedes made the little hole that the balls go into!!! laugh.gif

Otherwise???
+
Model T Ford
post 1.Jan.2014, 09:03 PM
Post #5

Yes, golf was invented by the Scots, but the game became such a nuisance that its practice was prohibited by statute, though its enforcement had stopped by the end othe the 18th century.

The real problem then was whether the owners of clubs could use them as they saw fit or according to the wishes of the inhabitants living around them.

During the end of the Napoleonic Wars, there were disputes at St Andrew's Golf Club whether the owners of it could allow the growing of rabbits along its fairways - what the local players strongly opposed.

My great research interest, barrister Henry Brougham, prevailed upon the House of Lords to allow its owners to raise the rabbits there.

Lord Chancellor Eldon said that the dispute was the greatest between man and rabbit since the age of Emperor Augustus, and he could only imagine a more difficult one if the owner allowed Black Angus cattle to graze there when it came to lost balls. laugh.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 1.Jan.2014, 09:06 PM
Post #6

Golf holes and cattle don't mix...some very bad golfers...to improve their game...made the holes so big the cattle fell in!!! laugh.gif
+
Model T Ford
post 1.Jan.2014, 09:09 PM
Post #7

Eldon had in mind, hitting a golf ball into a cow pie. laugh.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 1.Jan.2014, 09:16 PM
Post #8

Splash!!!...And never picked up to use again!!! laugh.gif
+
Hisingen
post 2.Jan.2014, 12:28 AM
Post #9

And as the guy said to a lady friend:-
"Let's go out to the golf links and play around together."

cool.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 2.Jan.2014, 12:40 AM
Post #10

You randy boy!!! laugh.gif
+
Hisingen
post 2.Jan.2014, 10:31 AM
Post #11

Er - sorry, that should have been 'play a round' together. You clearly misunderstood me - - - -

laugh.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 2.Jan.2014, 09:58 PM
Post #12

I am sometimes guilty of Freudian slips, as it were...Sorry, lad, I misjudged your most innocent remark...It's a "goat thing" laugh.gif
+
Hisingen
post 3.Jan.2014, 11:23 AM
Post #13

I am so glad we sorted that one out, old chap.
These things sometimes sound better when they come out orally, or verbally, or whatever Ivor says that sort of thing should be - - - -

By the way, have you heard about the Norwegian who went to see his dentist. He wanted a wisdom tooth put in.
+
Seamus Sean
post 3.Jan.2014, 01:01 PM
Post #14

quote name='Hisingen' date='3.Jan.2014, 11:23 AM' post='825316']
I am so glad we sorted that one out, old chap.
These things sometimes sound better when they come out orally, or verbally, or whatever Ivor says that sort of thing should be - - - -

By the way, have you heard about the Norwegian who went to see his dentist. He wanted a wisdom tooth put in.
[/quote]

biggrin.gif
+
Hisingen
post 5.Jan.2014, 04:34 PM
Post #15

That reminded me of the Charles Atlas course of many, many years ago.
I wonder how many remember Charles Atlas and his mountains of muscle.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com