• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Swedes score badly in world knowledge test

They are worse than random, says professor Rosling

Ivor stephé
post 31.Dec.2013, 02:00 AM
Post #1

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?...artikel=5745468

Swedes asked factual questions about the world population, it's health and education, scored really badly in an international survey to test people's ignorance.
"I would have expected lack of knowledge, that people answered at random, but they don´t. They are worse than random," says professor Hans Rosling, with the educational website Gapminder that developed the test.

Two of the questions were: "What do you think is the life expectance in the world as a whole today: 50, 60 or 70 years old?" and "In the last 20 years, the proportion of the world population living in extreme poverty has.. almost doubled, stayed more or less the same or halved?"

In these, as in most questions, most Swedes in the survey got the answers wrong. In fact, often, most people were choosing the option furthest away from the correct answer.

Rosling blames the results on people's preconceived ideas about how things are. "People had a pretty good idea how the world was about 30-40 years ago and they don't know that it has changed," says Rosling, who last year made it onto Time Magazine's list over the worlds 100 most influential people.

The correct answers to the questions above are in fact 70 years old (for life expectancy) and the proportion of people in extreme poverty has actually halved. But when asked, most people think the life expectancy is lower, and that the poverty is higher than it really is.

Hans Rosling does not want to talk about this in terms of optimism or pessimism, he just wishes that people would get better at knowing the facts. "We would have much more success dealing with the challenges today, if we know what the problems are. It's like an army not having a map, they would loose the battle," he says.

Professor Hans Rosling blames teh bad results on preconceived ideas about the world.
Go to the top of the page
+
Seamus Sean
post 31.Dec.2013, 08:44 AM
Post #2

Guess they "fowled" up, eh Ivor?

And who is teh?
+
Ivor stephé
post 31.Dec.2013, 12:06 PM
Post #3

Maybe try looking harder next time.

Attached Image

+
Hisingen
post 31.Dec.2013, 02:34 PM
Post #4

The fact that the journalist cannot either write - or spell - correctly is one thing. Quoting and not correcting is another - and then blaming Sean for not looking, oh boy. How stupid can you get Ivor.
The Jönköping wizz kid - ha ha.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 31.Dec.2013, 03:48 PM
Post #5

Were they tested for post-conceived ideas, too???
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 31.Dec.2013, 03:51 PM
Post #6

I think we should become poor Ivor's spell/grammar checker...his does not seem to be working...I mean, why not???

let's help the poor lad improve himself!!!
+
Seamus Sean
post 31.Dec.2013, 04:06 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 31.Dec.2013, 02:34 PM) *
The fact that the journalist cannot either write - or spell - correctly is one thing. Quoting and not correcting is another - and then blaming Sean for not looking, oh boy. H ... (show full quote)

Oh so very true Hisingen, it seems Ivor is so thick he can not even correct his copy and paste jobs before trying to pass them off as his own writings.
+
Hisingen
post 31.Dec.2013, 04:36 PM
Post #8

It might look as if 'we' are ganging up on him/her/it, but in actual fact 'we' are taking over where the teachers and school left off, filling in the vast gaps, and hopefully reaching a satisfactory state in our 'Jönköping wanna-be crime reporter's' edification.
What a beginning to 2014 ! ! !
+
Model T Ford
post 31.Dec.2013, 04:42 PM
Post #9

Yeah, I bet he didn't learn where Tannu Tuva is, and what it is noted for. smile.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 31.Dec.2013, 04:48 PM
Post #10

Tanna Tuva!!!

Everyone knows about Tanna Tuva!...It's ahhh, eerrrrhh, well you know!!!

It's a retirement community for espionage professionals and conspiracy theorists...Isn't it??? rolleyes.gif
+
Model T Ford
post 31.Dec.2013, 04:56 PM
Post #11

Right, but my employers make Rupert Murdoch look like a communist. I still have six years to go before my retirement kicks in.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 2.Jan.2014, 01:03 AM
Post #12

I say!...Hard cheese, old man!!!... laugh.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com