• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

SWEDEN vs AUSTRALIA !

Which one you choose to live in ? state the reason

ELsherif85
post 17.Jan.2014, 02:42 AM
Post #1

If you have the opportunity to live in one of them which one you would like to move to Sweden or Australia ?
there is many aspects to consider :

_ Cost of living .
_ Income & Jobs market .
_Make a business .

_ Weather & Life-style .
_ Etc ...

In your opinion which country you would prefer and why ?
Go to the top of the page
+
Ivor stephé
post 17.Jan.2014, 02:50 AM
Post #2

Australia.

Weather & Life-style being the main reason.
I have a few friends who all grew up in Sweden and moved to Australia, and they all say that while they obviously miss some aspects of "home", They have no plans to move back.
+
Seamus Sean
post 17.Jan.2014, 07:33 AM
Post #3

I would pick Sweden.

I personally like the weather here, summers are nice, not mid 40s meltingly hot as we see down under at the moment.

Winters are as winters are meant to be, cold with lots of snow. Spring and autumn remind me of home.

Speaking of which, if needs be I am only a couple of hours or so from the auld sod rather than a 24 hour trip in a metal tube!

The creepy crawlies in Oz can kill, here they just annoy, much the same as the natives.

The Aussies can be loud and brash...Swedes not so much.

So all in all I think Sweden wins, for me anyway! smile.gif
+
Ashlito
post 18.Jan.2014, 01:22 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Seamus Sean @ 17.Jan.2014, 08:33 AM) *
I would pick Sweden. I personally like the weather here, summers are nice, not mid 40s meltingly hot as we see down under at the moment. Winters are as winters are meant to ... (show full quote)

Says the loud mouth Irishman, don't generalize. You are the first one to complain if anyone else does it. Have you ever been to Australia? Did you speak to every individual there? no so don't generalize.
+
Seamus Sean
post 18.Jan.2014, 02:14 PM
Post #5

I am very softly spoken as it happens but I have met many, many Aussies who aren´t and I am afraid to say those I met put me off visiting.

Maybe it comes from being desended from convicts or maybe it comes from living in such a vast country that they have to shout to be heard...either way I prefer Swedes, sorry if my opinion upset you. sad.gif
+
Ivor stephé
post 18.Jan.2014, 04:05 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Seamus Sean @ 18.Jan.2014, 02:14 PM) *
Maybe it comes from being desended from convicts

What?
Please elaborate.
+
Ashlito
post 18.Jan.2014, 04:39 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Seamus Sean @ 18.Jan.2014, 03:14 PM) *
I am very softly spoken as it happens but I have met many, many Aussies who aren´t and I am afraid to say those I met put me off visiting.Maybe it comes from being desended f ... (show full quote)

Yes and your views are outmoded by fifty years. Most educated people now know that the vast majority of Australians are either first or second generation & are in no way decended from convicts
Keep your ignorance to yourself & don't generalize or it will catch up with you one way or another.
+
Ashlito
post 18.Jan.2014, 04:52 PM
Post #8

Also if you've never been, be quiet as you don't know anything on the topic. Meeting a person or two from a country doesn't mean that you actually know anything on the topic. Australia has many Irish immigrants, so many don't share your views. Don't be the talk-it-all-but-knows-nothing that you seem to be acting like.
I prefer Sweden myself, but that is my view because I've actually have the experience of travelling from Australia to countries to compare and not just making assumptions. Good enough for you there sunshine.
I'm not the most nationalistic Aussie myself, I just don't like people making generalizations on any subject without having the knowledge to back it up.
Also I don't like smart@55es.
+
Seamus Sean
post 18.Jan.2014, 05:13 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Ashlito @ 18.Jan.2014, 04:52 PM) *
Also if you've never been, be quiet as you don't know anything on the topic. Meeting a person or two from a country doesn't mean that you actually know anything on ... (show full quote)

You´re easier to wind up than a spinning top! wink.gif

I was only pulling you leg about the convict thing...nowadays they don´t allow any in when once it was a basic requirement!

I quite like Aussies as it happens, have some good mates from down under, I have a few family down there too so I get to hear all that is good and great about the place all the time.

I guess the bit in my first post that your knickers in a twist could, and looking back now should, have been better worded...

Lets say if you compare a group of Aussies with a group of Swedes the Aussies maybe a bit more outgoing, loud and brash was a bit harsh, sorry again, Swedes would be more refined, if that is the correct way to say it. Hey maybe this is the reason Aussies make better barmaids?

So once again I shall say sorry if I offended.
+
Seamus Sean
post 18.Jan.2014, 05:30 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Ivor stephé @ 18.Jan.2014, 04:05 PM) *
What?. Please elaborate.

Ok I´ll educate you once again Ivor...

Descendants are blood relatives of those that went before, for example a grandchild is a descendant of a grandfather, Farfar say in Swedish.

Now long, long ago Great Britain sent many of those convicted of committing a crime to Australia as a punishment, there they would serve out their sentences.

Many of the crimes wouldn´t be, in todays terms anyway, all that serious, maybe sealing some food to feed their families for example Red Kelly from Moyglass, Tipperary Ireland stole a couple of piglets (young pigs) so he was sent to Van Diemen's Land, modern day Tasmania, he served 7 years for stealing those pigs, on his release he travelled to the mainland met a girl and settled down, giving us one of my favourite folk heroes of all time.

So hope that was elaborated enough for you?

Feel free to ask for more info if you want too I am here all day! smile.gif
+
Opalnera
post 18.Jan.2014, 06:51 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Seamus Sean @ 17.Jan.2014, 07:33 AM) *
I would pick Sweden. I personally like the weather here, summers are nice, not mid 40s meltingly hot as we see down under at the moment.Winters are as winters are meant to be, ... (show full quote)

LOL this reads like you saw Crocodile Dundee once and that's all your knowledge of Australia. It's a pretty big country, not all of it experiences 40 degree temperatures. That would be a bit like comparing the weather in New York to that of Texas.

Ok well here's an opinion of someone who has actually lived in both countries:

Australia Pros

Year round sunshine.
Low unemployment.
Socially active, friendly people.
High quality of life.
Variety of landscape and nature.
10 fully paid sick days per year.
They speak English (thus making it easier to get a job and "fit in" socially).
The people are service oriented, helpful, efficient and hard working. I've adapted to the Swedish way and I'm always a bit shocked when I go home how quickly and efficiently things get done back home in Oz.

Australia Cons

University is not free (although there is a loan system for paying back university fees).
Daycare and after school programs are also not free.
Immigration for foreigners is expensive and time consuming.
Australians can be a little (or a lot) self involved and snobs about money and wealth.
Racism towards Arabics is prevalent (particularly from the older generations) and tolerance towards religions other than Christianity is low.
You have to be prepared to work hard and be efficient. No free rides.

Sweden Pros

Almost free daycare and after school programs.
Compulsory paid parental leave.
Snowy winters (if you like that sort of thing).
Socially acceptable to be cheap.
Close to Europe and US for travel.
Swedes prefer to work smart rather than hard.

Sweden Cons

The Autumn and Winter months, if you don't like the cold and the dark and rain it can be a very big struggle.
The Summers are not always awesome, the previous one was amazing, the one before that was absolute shite, 16 degrees and it rained almost constantly (you can see a theme here with the weather).
Getting a drivers licence is inordinately difficult.
English is not the official language, so to fit in socially and get a good job you need to learn the lingo.
Swedish people can be clique-y and most of the time you have to be the one to break the ice.

For me it came down to one thing, I like to travel and I want to see more of Europe. So my husband and I decided to stay in Sweden. If you have or want to have children I would also recommend Sweden, it's a lot easier with little ones. If you are an active and social person and like warm weather I would go with Australia. Whatever you do, commit to your decision and don't spend time dwelling on if you had made the other choice.
+
Seamus Sean
post 18.Jan.2014, 07:29 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Opalnera @ 18.Jan.2014, 06:51 PM) *
LOL this reads like you saw Crocodile Dundee once and that's all your knowledge of Australia. It's a pretty big country, not all of it experiences 40 degree temperatu ... (show full quote)

I saw the first movie twice and the others just the once...actually I only saw half the last one as it was gone completely off the boil at that stage.

I am aware there can be vastly different climates in Australia, folk even skiing down there for God sake!

As I said in my latter post I have family living there, with Aussie passports, forced to vote even, so I do know a bit more than maybe came across in my first post, I guess with the tennis taking up a lot of coverage this week the temps in Melbourne was what I was on about...I wouldn´t be able for that kinda heat, I love the snow and ice and yes I can get that in Oz but I just don´t want to live there.

I will say Aussies seem very touchy if one says they don´t want to live down under, they attack at the slightest negative statement someone issues and no I have never been I am just judging my findings on what I see on this thread! wink.gif
+
sv100
post 18.Jan.2014, 08:42 PM
Post #13

@ Oplanera

English as an official Language with fair stable economy and safe society/ community (low crime record) > all the benefits of Sweden you are talking about , as you cant fit in(without struggling) with bureaucracy which Sweden has.

>> If you have or want to have children I would also recommend Sweden, it's a lot easier with little ones<<

Children financial subsidy/allowance decreased , it started 10 yrs ago from 1,500 Kr . but now 1,050 kr .

Sweden is not easier for families as you think. As its difficult for you to find a suitable decent apartment without paying +10,000 kr and up, near business areas(1 hr transport or less) where you can find work.

You have to have good stable job with your partner to get children ,+2 ,( 2 children and up.)

Sweden by percentage of probabilities & best opportunities is suitable for refugees in 1st class , Students& workers (EU) & Sambo as 2nd class , and skilled workers (Doctors,Engineers,IT,, )as last/weak opportunity/posibilty class.

While Australia is one of biggest Skilled workers destination , and both language and system support them unlike in Sweden .

So in Australia ,Skilled workers (1st class) , Sambo (2nd class) , Students(probably scholarships) around the world 3rd class . Rrefugees with unskilled lazy people got last class

Sweden without a war in general wont accept any one and they dont like to accept people from good economy-countries.Thats true.
+
Opalnera
post 19.Jan.2014, 01:45 AM
Post #14

The cost of daycare in Australia is really high. Basically, most women I know (and I'm 33 so it's a lot at the moment) with 2 daycare aged kids have opted to stay home with the children rather than work, because the daycare fees and "cost of working" (transport, clothing, food etc) ate up most of their wages.

Melbourne and Adelaide experience those kinds of temperatures for a couple of weeks in January but for most of the year they are pretty pleasant places for temperature. 40 degrees is really horrible though, I lived in Adelaide for a couple of years and I moved back to Brisbane because, while it's warmer all year round, they rarely experience temperatures of more than 32 degrees.

You know what Seamus, you can't shit stir an Aussie and expect us not to shit stir you back. Tell you what though, if I had a dollar for every time I was asked about poisonous spiders and snakes *groan*. I'm from a city of 2 million people, I was probably in more danger of dying from choking on a latte than from a snake. I'm not saying anyone has to live there, I'm not living there and have no plans on making any move back in the foreseeable future but it's not because I don't like it, just because I want something else and I have the luxury of choosing where I live.
+
Opalnera
post 19.Jan.2014, 02:34 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Seamus Sean @ 18.Jan.2014, 07:29 PM) *
I saw the first movie twice and the others just the once...actually I only saw half the last one as it was gone completely off the boil at that stage.

Do you want to know my dirty shameful secret? I have never seen Crocodile Dundee. I'm surprised they haven't confiscated my citizenship!
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description