• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

What is the living expense in Sweden?

It's relative, but ...

Hannibal2010
post 19.Jan.2014, 09:07 PM
Post #1

I know it is really relative question, but i think there is an answer.

For e.g, I can live in the Netherlands with spending 7 - 10 euros per week for food, 350 euros for housing, and so on. Total ~ 500 euros per month, and everything still seems good.

I mean, with this style, no evening bar, no beer, no restaurant: I cook for myself, drink free coffee in the office (it's terrible, believe me - but it's free), and so on.

It is not luxuriant lifestyle I know, but it's okie.

So, how about if I maintain this lifestyle in Sweden? Could you give me some suggestions?
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 19.Jan.2014, 09:15 PM
Post #2

500 euros is roughly what you receive from the social every month to live on. That does not include the rent, if you can actually find somewhere to live.

Sorry to say but with that amount of money it would be very very difficult but not impossible to survive. If you wanted to live poorly you could get by on 500 sek a month for food but the other bills and your health would be a problem
+
trumanshow
post 19.Jan.2014, 10:33 PM
Post #3

You say that you drink coffee in the office which implies that you are working. Is it just a part time job? I guess the question is how you go about earning just 500 euros in Sweden. I dont think the cost of living in Sweden is as high as people think. I was shocked on a recent visit to France how expensive it is. If you are not careful then food is very expensive but you can always shop at lidl where the prices are a little higher than their equivalents in foreign countries. I think rent and utilities are comparable. The trick is to be organised and never go to the pub!

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compa...country2=Sweden
+
Hannibal2010
post 20.Jan.2014, 09:32 PM
Post #4

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply - sorry if my words is not clear.

My salary is not 500 euros - it only mean that, now I live with 500 euros and save the remain.

I want to ask that, if I maintain this lifestyle in Sweden, how much I should pay? Or other way, what is the minimum amount of money to live in Sweden? So, I can save the remain, and calculate that how much I can save after, for e.g, 5 years in Sweden.
+
LauraCristescu
post 20.Jan.2014, 10:34 PM
Post #5

Depends on your expenses, provided you don't get sick and never go out (which i don't really recommend..the mind needs relaxation and socializing) my calculations were around 700 euros a month, i've heard people live on 500 too but i was told it's like...bare bare minimum
+
Hannibal2010
post 21.Jan.2014, 06:48 AM
Post #6

Hi Laura

Thank you very much

700 euros, it means ~6000 SEK, right?
+
LauraCristescu
post 21.Jan.2014, 07:55 AM
Post #7

i think it`s between 6000 and 7000. I learned it`s best to associate 1000 sek to 100 euros, even if in reality it`s a little less because, at least in my case, since i don`t yet have a swedish bank account in sek, i get taxed a bit for the conversion by my bank.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN