• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Sky TV --Question about losing channels

Need Advice!!

pdiddly
post 12.Feb.2014, 07:36 PM
Post #1

Hi There,

Weird thing recently happened,, wondering if someone could give me some insight..

I have a sky hd box without a card so I watch freeview have an 80cm dish,,,, and for the past 3 weeks, (and every other time,ive come home here) , i've been able to get everything ,, including all bbc channels,, itv,, channel four,, film 4 etc etc...

Few days ago,, whilst the snowy weather was around,, I lost all bbc channels,,, but still had the rest,, and yesterday I've lost all channels!,, can only get the start up channel,, and some crappy CBS channels,, ..

My question is ,, is it possible due to having only a 80cm dish,, that i've lost the channels over the feww weeks i've come back to sverige? Or does it sound like a hardwear issue?

Would be grateful for any opinions, input or advice..

Cheers People!!
Go to the top of the page
+
Rick Methven
post 12.Feb.2014, 07:42 PM
Post #2

Nothing wrong with your hardware EXCEPT your dish as BBC/ITV have moved to Astra 2E with a UK spotbeam. You need a bigger dish.
CBS and Sky news transmit on Astra 2A with a pan European beam which is unnafected.
+
pdiddly
post 12.Feb.2014, 07:47 PM
Post #3

Thanks for that!... Was thinking about getting a bigger dish anyway... BUT... Isn't it a bit weird the fact I could get the channels only a few days ago? Thats what is confusing me..
+
Rick Methven
post 12.Feb.2014, 10:15 PM
Post #4

BBC changed over last Thursday and ITV 2 days ago.
+
pdiddly
post 12.Feb.2014, 11:38 PM
Post #5

Ahaaa!! Thanks very much for the info... Will invest in a new Dish...
+
blueearthling
post 24.Apr.2014, 08:30 PM
Post #6

What size dish is required?
+
oldscot1
post 25.Apr.2014, 09:03 AM
Post #7

depends where you live. In stockholm I used to get every thing with a 1.2. rain and snow were a challenge.. I moved to dalarna and my 1,2 was so good, i could almost point it any where and get a signal. Then, as a man said, Feb was death. MY friend in Skåne has a 3,7 , and i am just fitting a 2,4. As the ground it still frozen , I have to wait to pour concrete, and pray a 2,4 is big enough. Looking at signal strength, I would probably get away with 1,8 , but 2,4 will make me weather proof. Look at the footprints of 2a. Ask about on the sat forums.
+
intrepidfox
post 25.Apr.2014, 09:06 AM
Post #8

I think that in Göteborg you can get away with a 1.2, before i had an 85cm dish without any problems
+
Rick Methven
post 25.Apr.2014, 03:36 PM
Post #9

Going from a 1.2 m to a 1.5 has cured the problem for me, although snow/rain does cause a problem.
+
Micardo
post 25.Apr.2014, 04:04 PM
Post #10

1.2 is OK in Jönköping except when its really heavy rain or snow, then some channels go funny.
+
Hisingen
post 25.Apr.2014, 07:05 PM
Post #11

North of Göteborg I have gone up from 95cm to 1,2m, and now, with fairly clear skies I am getting most of the BBC and ITV,the 4's and the 5's channels. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, channels that have vertical polarity are not being received. But with horizontal polarity I am even getting some HD channels. But BBC3 and ITV3 are both Having added a Humax FTA receiver to my reception it has given me access to even more channels over and above my Sky allocation.
Even so, there are evenings when there are so many repeats you would think you were watching SVT, and there is absolutely nothing on that has not already been transmitted a few times.

On the Sky box, I have a 50%/10% signal Strength/Quality, and on the Humax there is an improvement, going up to 80%/50%. - on the same LNB - - and on both tuners, although one tuner does show a fluctuation - at the moment of writing 85/100. Would be great if this was the reading on all three cables. I did have new cables run to the newer LNB so the variation must be either in the LNB itself or somewhere in the alignment, although my installer assured me it was set to maximum, and he is a reliable guy.
+
Micardo
post 26.Apr.2014, 07:13 PM
Post #12

Equipment and location can vary the signal by so much it seems. I am only 200km from you yet in normal weather get everything with a sky plus box and a 1.2. I have a second old sky box connected to get the free channels and that is not so good.
+
Hisingen
post 27.Apr.2014, 10:13 PM
Post #13

I must say I tend to agree. My Sky box is some 10-11 years old, and the Humax is 'factory fresh', which could explain the differences in reception figures. I may update the Sky box if I get over to the UK this year. Some of the later models do have better signal thresholds which could well make a difference, although I have heard that Sky now produce their boxes themselves, which could possibly mean slightly less sensitivity since they only truly cater for the UK.
However, tonight I have been watching the World Snooker Championship on BBC2 HD, via the Humax,so reception, although varying, can be very good at times, thank goodness.
+
sarcastrix
post 28.Apr.2014, 07:02 PM
Post #14

I'm in Örebro with a self-aligned 1.5 dish, 2 x SKY HD boxes, 1 x SKY SD box & 1 x SKYBOX cool.gif I have nearly all the channels during daytime although do start to loose some BBC HD, 5, 4+ & the Peppa Pig channels in the evening. I've just purchased a Satlink WS-6906 sat meter to try and fine tune things.
+
blueearthling
post 28.Apr.2014, 08:50 PM
Post #15

I'm in Åkersberga about 30km NE of Stockholm. Where do you guys get your dish from? I have been quoted about £700 for a 1.5m dish, is this right?
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se