• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Is SFI worth it?

Does it work...

SamSlade
post 17.Apr.2014, 07:31 PM
Post #1

As I am planning to move to Sweden for 6 months to learn the language I was wondering if SFI is worth going to or if it is better to learn the language privately?

all opinions welcome..

thanks..
Go to the top of the page
+
groovesalad
post 17.Apr.2014, 07:42 PM
Post #2

You will have to get a personnummer to attend SFI. As far as I know you don't get that if you are going to stay less than a year.

If you are coming here for only 6 months. I'd say don't waste your time with SFI. My experience was horrible with it. The others could be different though.

Just look into private education I'd say.
+
SamSlade
post 17.Apr.2014, 08:17 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (groovesalad @ 17.Apr.2014, 07:42 PM) *
You will have to get a personnummer to attend SFI. As far as I know you don't get that if you are going to stay less than a year.If you are coming here for only 6 months. ... (show full quote)

Okay well there's a possibility I may of stayed longer than 6 months, how long is the SFI course? and if I dont like it can I just leave?

I have heard different opinions of the SFI course..
+
groovesalad
post 17.Apr.2014, 08:26 PM
Post #4

It's actually individual

I started with C but I saw many who started with B. There are exams every 3 months. Mine took 7 months to complete all phases. If you study hard and start with C (depends on your teacher), you can finish it between 6-8 months.
+
SamSlade
post 17.Apr.2014, 08:49 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (groovesalad @ 17.Apr.2014, 08:26 PM) *
It's actually individualI started with C but I saw many who started with B. There are exams every 3 months. Mine took 7 months to complete all phases. If you study hard an ... (show full quote)

Did you find that it worked well? how is your Swedish now? and how long are the lessons?

thanks for the help..
+
groovesalad
post 17.Apr.2014, 09:09 PM
Post #6

It did not work for me. They didn't teach me anything in terms of swedish. I had to learn it from my own grammar books and stuff. They just gave me a paper and told me to work on it. Whole 7 months were like this. That's why many students failed on exams since they were suck at teaching. It was 3 hours a day (weekdays)

Now I go to something called SAS grund. It's basic level swedish which you can only get after SFI. They are really good at teaching and they teach proper swedish. SFI was a total disappointment for me.

Now my swedish is better since i'm forced to speak and learn at school.
+
trumanshow
post 18.Apr.2014, 08:45 AM
Post #7

Sam, in Sundsvall it is well delivered. I have worked as a language teacher and studied languages and linguistics at University and I think that the teachers are very good. The courses are well designed. The subject matter is a bit patronising 'In Sweden, we don't eat each other' etc.

SFI is also a good way to meet people. Take every opportunity you can, the natives are less easy to meet!
+
Ivor stephé
post 19.Apr.2014, 11:14 PM
Post #8

http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?s...mp;#entry834211
+
Svensksmith
post 20.Apr.2014, 07:08 PM
Post #9

It depends on the teacher. My SFI teacher was great but 6 months is not enough time to master the language. You might have to pay for a more intensive course if that is all the time you have. You could help your prospects by laying some groundwork such as studying as much Swedish as you can before the move. There are lots of free resources (check past posts about said subject) or you could spring for Rosetta Stone which will get you most of the basics.

Good luck!
+
SamSlade
post 20.Apr.2014, 10:18 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 20.Apr.2014, 07:08 PM) *
It depends on the teacher. My SFI teacher was great but 6 months is not enough time to master the language. You might have to pay for a more intensive course if that is all ... (show full quote)

I have ordered Rosetta Stone and im looking forward to get learning smile.gif thanks for the comments..
+
hafizr
post 25.Apr.2014, 02:58 PM
Post #11

It is definitely worth it. SFI will help you get to learn the basics and as well learn from other students on the same level as you.
+
Opalnera
post 25.Apr.2014, 11:23 PM
Post #12

Every couple of months this question pops up. Seems it's a mixed bag, depends on the school, your classmates, your teacher etc.
+
Minndie
post 27.Apr.2014, 09:46 AM
Post #13

I would say that SFI is worth going to learn your basics. After SFI you probably can study on your own to improve the language. Of course you are not going to master the language with just SFI, you can also study SAS after SFI.

SFI is only available for those with a personal number.
+
Gordy
post 27.Apr.2014, 02:07 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (SamSlade @ 17.Apr.2014, 08:31 PM) *
As I am planning to move to Sweden for 6 months to learn the language I was wondering if SFI is worth going to or if it is better to learn the language privately?. all opinions welcome... thanks..

Depending on what kommun you plan to live in you may find that you have a considerable waiting time to start SFI, I can't remember the exact dates but I had to wait between 6 and 8 months to get a place on an SFI evening course. Although I think that the situation has improved somewhat since then.

By contrast I am currently studying SAS Grund and I inquired on a Thursday and had had a letter on the Monday telling me to start immediately.

One thing that I feel can't be emphasised enough is that SFI is very basic, by the time you are finished you have no more than a grounding in the language. If you want to attain fluency in 6 months you really need to look for a far more intensive course.
+
6rsc1
post 27.Apr.2014, 07:13 PM
Post #15

Honestly, it's luck of the draw.

Where I am, no one has had any good experiences with it...It's a lot of worksheets and no explanations. The idea is that you will learn through rote, and that you are coming from a Swedish speaking work environment, so the emphasis is placed heavily on writing.

What I found particularly frustrating was always being asked to fill out worksheets, but when I asked what the words meant, or what the structure meant, my teachers would tell me it didn't matter, and not to be too eager...

That being said, people in my kommun who went through it years ago (they're colleagues and have been living in Sweden for YEARS), said it was alright, and those at the SVAS levels in the kommun have told me that if you can bear through it, it's worth it once you get to SVAS.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN