• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Buying a Car and License Conversion

Canadian License --> Swedish, Stockholm area

6rsc1
post 27.Apr.2014, 07:09 PM
Post #1

Hi Everyone!
I was wondering if you need to have a Swedish driving license to own a car in Sweden. I know that I can drive on my Canadian license, and from what I've heard it would be fairly easy to convert it to a Swedish License. Would I be able to own a car while in the process of converting my license?

And! Does anyone know if I can find English Driving Schools in Stockholm? I'm currently in Eskilstuna, and if you want to do it here, apparently we are responsible for bringing our own translators, as the course is offered in Swedish.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
LLHope
post 27.Apr.2014, 07:54 PM
Post #2

You do not need a drivers license to own a car.
It is a favourite trick of certain groups that they place the car ownership under their kids personal number, and let the kid get the parking ticket fines etc... which of course Kronofogden and courts cannot do anything about. Sad thing is that those kids are going to turn 18 with large debts waiting for them! angry.gif

+
6rsc1
post 27.Apr.2014, 09:13 PM
Post #3

ohmy.gif

...Well that's good news for me, but terrible news for all those poor kids...

Thank you though!
+
ChocOwl
post 27.Apr.2014, 09:38 PM
Post #4

Check the archive, this topic has been up may times before.
Usually a non-EU drivers lic is only valid for 1 year after you move to Sweden. You need to the entire driving exam process to get a Swedish drivers lic.
http://www.korkortsportalen.se/Kontakt/jag...ort/#Utländska

In general, all info about cars and driving is to be found here:
http://www.trafikverket.se/
+
6rsc1
post 28.Apr.2014, 11:19 PM
Post #5

Thank you so much!
+
Rick Methven
post 30.Apr.2014, 09:04 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (LLHope @ 27.Apr.2014, 08:54 PM) *
You do not need a drivers license to own a car.It is a favourite trick of certain groups that they place the car ownership under their kids personal number, and let the kid ge ... (show full quote)

What absolute rubbish.

You can not own/buy a car unless you are old enough to drive/have a driving licence. which is 18. A parent would be very foolish to put a car in the name of anybody under the age of 23 as the insurance premium will be very high. Most parents put their 18-24 year old children's cars in their own name as it reduces the insurance premium and the only risk is a higher self risk in case of an accident when a youngster was driving.
+
LLHope
post 30.Apr.2014, 10:22 AM
Post #7

Previously it was possible to have a child registered as sole owner of a vehicle, but that was changed a few years ago because of the rising debts against kids in relation to parking fines and such for cars registered on them, so now they need a guardian that has responsibility for taxes and insurance:

Ett ägarbyte till den underårige ska godkännas av samtliga vårdnadshavare. Det ska även framgå på anmälan vem av vårdnadshavarna som ska registreras i vägtrafikregistret som ansvarig för försäkring, skatter och avgifter för fordonet. Vårdnadshavarnas personnummer, namn och underskrifter samt uppgift om vem som ska registreras i vägtrafikregistret ska anges i fältet ”Övrig anmälan” på Del 2 av registreringsbeviset. Får inte Transportstyrelsen uppgifterna som nämnts ovan, kommer anmälan inte att registreras.
+
RichardEng
post 4.May.2014, 06:01 PM
Post #8

Do you even need to go to a driving school since you will be just converting your license?
+
Great Scott
post 4.May.2014, 06:13 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (RichardEng @ 4.May.2014, 07:01 PM) *
Do you even need to go to a driving school since you will be just converting your license?

Only EU licenses can be exchanged in the EU, as countries outside of the EU do not meet the required standards. Non EU license holders must take a new test.
+
Opalnera
post 4.May.2014, 06:27 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (6rsc1 @ 27.Apr.2014, 06:09 PM) *
Hi Everyone!I was wondering if you need to have a Swedish driving license to own a car in Sweden. I know that I can drive on my Canadian license, and from what I've he ... (show full quote)

You can drive on your Canadian licence for one year. Start studying for the tests now, it's quite the process to get the Swedish licence. You are responsible for taking a translator with you to the Risk 1 and Risk 2 training, the theory book for the driving rules is available in English. The theory test can be done in English. Take a couple of driving lessons with an instructor shortly before your driving test so that you can drive "in the Swedish way" for the test. I'm sure you will find someone who can speak English in Eskilstuna.
+
Hisingen
post 4.May.2014, 07:43 PM
Post #11

Having entered Sweden long before it was possible to exchange driving licences, I had to go through the whole rigmarole of the driving test process, but luck was on my side. For both the theory and practice stages I had folks that could speak English, and where I didn't know the answers - since - as I 'explained' - I was only seeking a car driving licence, the examiners helped me by telling me the answers. Yes - things were certainly more personal and easy back in 1960. But then I had already had an English licence since 1947, and that went a long way with those folks. My only problem was when I went to Länsstyrelsen to collect my new licence. There they needed someone to vouch for me, someone who had known me for two years - when I had only been here for a few months. They guy who was to issue the licence nearly choked - it went against all he had been told to do, so I didn't get it then. It came by post some time later.

Today things are much more strict, and rightly so. There is so much more traffic on the roads nowadays, travelling much faster, and with far more hazards than existed back then. And of course - on the other side of the road.

Expect to be required to undergo the full test, including the skid pan. Even coming from Canada, where road conditions can be similar to here, it may well be required, but perhaps easier.

Safety on the road is paramount, and no-one wants to meet a driver who got his/her licence too easily, especially at 100kph. No disrespect.

smile.gif
+
Willy
post 4.May.2014, 08:18 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 4.May.2014, 08:43 PM) *
where I didn't know the answers - since - as I 'explained' - I was only seeking a car driving licence, the examiners helped me by telling me the answers. Yes - thi ... (show full quote)

Sounds a bit like when my grandparents got their licenses in the 40s/50s. There was only one examiner in each town, often a retired military officer, who always asked the one same question, the answer to which of course was common knowledge. By the time my parents got theirs in the 70s, they had already tightened up the process considerably.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options