• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Last ferry from Harwich to Denmark 29/09/2014

The fInal curtain

shadylady
post 7.May.2014, 09:27 AM
Post #1

Sadly for those who travel with animals, the sea route from Harwich to Esbjerg will cease from 29th of September 2014.
Rising fuel costs, declining freight levels etc have contributed to the demise of this ferry route popular with animal owners. The final nail in the coffin has been the increased cost of complying with the new sulphur environmental laws being introduced from 1st January 2015. The service has been running since 1875 when Esbjerg port was constructed.
It must have been a vastly different world. Its hard to believe that was 139 years ago.
I for one will to sad to see it go. Avoiding the drive through Germany was such a pleasure, and its a reduction in choice for travellers to Scandanavia. Its the end of an era and no doubt will effect the respective ports badly.

Go to the top of the page
+
Snood
post 7.May.2014, 10:03 AM
Post #2

That is a shame. Weäre holidaying in Scotland this year and will be using this ferry to get there. It was already bad enough that the Gothenburg-Newcastle ferry closed down in 2006.

In most cases flying if by far my preferred option, as it is with most people. and our preference unfortunately has this effect. We appreciate the faster travel but we also now have to accept that this convenience comes at the cost of other services. The ferry is useful... just not useful enough for people to choose it over flying in the majority of cases.
+
Lingonberry
post 7.May.2014, 05:18 PM
Post #3

I wonder if there another route for the lorries of removal companies or will they have to get across the channel and then drive all the way? I would think that would put the cost of moving up which will unfortunately affect me. Also if you are not keen on flying, has anyone tried getting a bus from Malmo or Copenhagen to London? If so, what was the journey like?
+
Hallander
post 7.May.2014, 05:54 PM
Post #4

Train of course. http://www.seat61.com/Denmark.htm#London to Copenhagen by Harwich-Hoek ferry

Took 24 hours when I did it 50 years ago. Via Harwich-Hook.
+
Hisingen
post 7.May.2014, 06:44 PM
Post #5

Svenska LLoyd, The Wilson England Sweden Line, Tor Line then the Danes took over to cover the Gbg-UK route with DFDS, and then that, too, ceased to run. Then for a while we had a chance from Bergen to Newcastle with DFDS, then that too stopped, and now - again the Danes cutting off the last connection. We have so much to thank those Danes for - I don't think.
At a guess, Stena Line has no plans for anything to cover the route either. Stena only likes routes that bring in cash - even if they have to use 'Bordershop' tactics from Gbg to Fredrikshaven. It makes you wonder how long the Hoek van Holland route will be available.
I guess folks don't travel with their cars anything like as much as they used to, and with Ryanair running their bring-your-own-seat cheap flights the competition is too great. Maybe before long it will be the 'DIY' chunnel route that is the last contact between England and Europe.
That is unless we get around to waterproofing our cars, obtaining navigating qualifications, and then putting an outboard on the back bumper, and driving off the quay at Calais and driving ashore in Dover - - - - - rolleyes.gif

Shipping companies just do not want us to travel between Sweden and 'home', more's the pity.
+
Willy
post 7.May.2014, 08:48 PM
Post #6

I think another part of the equation, apart from the rise of cheap air travel, is that the roads nowadays are much better than in the heyday of the North Sea ferry lines. You can today drive on motorways from Stockholm to Hoek van Holland or Calais. It didn't use to be that way. And there are fixed links over the Channel, the Sound and the Great Belt. The Fehmarn Belt tunnel will be there in a decade's time.
+
Hisingen
post 7.May.2014, 10:25 PM
Post #7

I agree - up to a point - regarding the road network, having travelled most of the ways available since moving here in 1960. But there has also been quite an increase in fuel prices. Back in 60-61 it was 95öre per litre, as opposed to today's prices. Ferry fare was £27.10s.0d - return in '60, and your car was on-loaded by crane - no Ro-Ro.
Currently I am contemplating what might well be my last trip over and therefore all avenues are being explored with the exception of flying. I need a car to reach all my destinations in a relatively short time, and being an octogenarian there are not many car-hire firms that cater for that age range, and anyway I feel happier behind my own wheel, even if it happens to be on the unsuitable side. and my home village is not exactly freely accessible by public transport.
I will say, though, that the time spent on board a ferry was both good and bad in that it was a time for relaxation, but time that came out of the visit or holiday.
Well, times change, and we must endeavour to change with them.
cool.gif
+
Ivor stephé
post 8.May.2014, 07:45 AM
Post #8

I think Denmark is also updating their rail line so that they will electrify the line from Copenhagen to Roedby. And also start to work on a tunnel (not a bridge) to link up Germany with Denmark.
Which should help shave off 10 minutes in crossing time.

But I haven't read anything regarding infrastructure on the German side in regards to updating their rail network between Puttgarden and Hamburg?

So maybe in the future we will see even less boats.
But i can't see these latest changes as not having a significant effect on costs.
Especially when you look at the distance covered by boats in comparison to the distance covered by trains on the basis of price.
+
Lingonberry
post 8.May.2014, 10:11 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Hallander @ 7.May.2014, 05:54 PM) *
Train of course. http://www.seat61.com/Denmark.htm#London to Copenhagen by Harwich-Hoek ferry. Took 24 hours when I did it 50 years ago. Via Harwich-Hook.

Thanks for that link - very useful information. Eurostar plus Cologne sleeper looks better than the bus all the way.
+
Hallander
post 8.May.2014, 02:55 PM
Post #10

Added memory. Sleeping in a train compartment going was no fun. I had a berth on the overnight ferry coming back.
+
Willy
post 8.May.2014, 04:01 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Ivor stephé @ 8.May.2014, 08:45 AM) *
But I haven't read anything regarding infrastructure on the German side in regards to updating their rail network between Puttgarden and Hamburg?

Funny you asked; the state government of Schleswig-Holstein presented the results of their planning process on Tuesday this week. The treaty with Denmark obliges them to have an electrified line finished in time for the opening of the tunnel and to have a double-track line some years later. It has been widely discussed whether the present line through the seaside resort towns north of Lübeck should be upgraded or whether a new line should be built close to the A1 motorway (or both). The state govenment has now decided on the latter option and closing the old line. It seems that they are still planning for only 160 km/h, though.
+
Nicklouse
post 8.May.2014, 04:02 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Lingonberry @ 7.May.2014, 05:18 PM) *
I wonder if there another route for the lorries of removal companies or will they have to get across the channel and then drive all the way? I would think that would put the ... (show full quote)

the freight ships still run Goteborg to Immingham and Tillbury so no problems for the movers.
+
trumanshow
post 8.May.2014, 04:41 PM
Post #13

Oh! I am getting that ferry next week. I shall thank my lucky stars. Although when I weighed up the pros and cons it was actually cheaper to drive down to the hook of holland and get the ferry to Harwich. (£261 Esbjerg - Harwich, £100 HvH - Harwich + <> £100 fuel from Esbjerg) Obviously more driving though and a possible overnight stay and food to cost in. I think its a shame though, ferries are a unique way to travel even if they are slower and more expensive. They are still talking about reopening the Bergen to Newcastle line...
+
essem
post 9.May.2014, 12:47 PM
Post #14

Sad news. I use this service every year driving the family back to UK. I alternate using the boat service and driving through Europe. Last time I checked, which was a few years ago now - the DFDS freight service GBG to UK did take a few private cars but only had limited number of cabins. And they changed the rules a few years back regarding kids - no children under 5.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se