• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Registering a child in Sweden

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

The Green Turtle
post 28.May.2014, 03:47 PM
Post #1

Hej all!
My Swedish partner and I recently had our first child. I have residency here and my partner was born and raised in Sweden. Because we aren't married the baby automatically has my surname. When we asked to change this (to my partners name) we were told that we needed to prove paternity. "Ok" I said, "but this was an IVF pregnancy". "Well in that case", replied the ever helpful social worker, "you need to contact the hospital and get the permission form where your partner signed off to use his sperm".
So anyway, we contacted the hospital and are still waiting for them to send the forms.
Fast forward to today. We go to the police station so our child can have a passport where we are informed that our child is, wait for it, stateless and cannot have a passport. We told the police worker that he has a personal number and she said it didn't matter as paternity had not been proven yet.
My partner very angrily called the hospital again for the form we requested over a month ago and she said our request was a little strange as she's never heard of anyone needing to prove paternity in this way.

Feeling like I'm being picked on for being un-wed...
Go to the top of the page
+
LLHope
post 28.May.2014, 05:15 PM
Post #2

1. Your child cannot be stateless, unless You are stateless. By default a child always receives the nationality of the mother, since that is the only parent that they can be most certain of.

2. Paternity is normally determined by DNA test, contact the social office, since it is there you would normally inform about change of custody, and ask if they need (or can arrange) the paternity test. Note that also, by default, custody is 100% the mothers when unmarried, so you would need to inform of the joint custody anyway if you are going to split it.
+
The Green Turtle
post 28.May.2014, 06:24 PM
Post #3

I'm not stateless but our child hasn't been registered with my home country. I wouldn't need a paternity test if the pregnancy was an IVF one surely. Me and my partner are together and this isn't about custody,
According to the lady at the police station he is stateless.
+
Case officer
post 28.May.2014, 08:53 PM
Post #4

The police only issue passports to Swedish citizens. Contact your country's embassy if you need a passport for your child.
+
Poca
post 28.May.2014, 11:56 PM
Post #5

Weird situation. For a country that claims to want everything equal, it is interesting that when unmarried custody goes only to the mother.

Being born in sweden does not make one automatically a Swedish citizen?
+
LLHope
post 29.May.2014, 09:07 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Poca @ 28.May.2014, 10:56 PM) *
Weird situation. For a country that claims to want everything equal, it is interesting that when unmarried custody goes only to the mother.

When the mother gives birth in the hospital, the hospital know for sure that that She is the Mother. Only with DNA evidence can it be determined who the father is. What is strange is that there is an automatic assumed fidelity if the partners are married??? As said earlier, the only parent that one can be sure of is the one that actually gave birth to the child.

In the UK a few years ago a research project was done, during that research they took DNA samples from families. A side result which was published later because the findings caught the scientists by surprise, which was actually nothing to do with the original research project, showed that 30%+ of the children the fathers in married couples were actually not the biological father of the child(ren), and probably didn't know it.

Being born in sweden does not make one automatically a Swedish citizen?

No.
+
axiom
post 29.May.2014, 10:33 AM
Post #7

Weird situation. For a country that claims to want everything equal, it is interesting that when unmarried custody goes only to the mother.Being born in sweden does not make o ... (show full quote)

I don't get the equality logic here, this is a common practice in almost every country. It seems only fair that the mother gets presumptive custody until we are sure who the dad is, then he gets custody as well. I'd very much prefer to be consulted and confirmed that I am the dad before an overfriendly woman declares me dad and well, hello i have custody of a child thats not mine.
+
Poca
post 29.May.2014, 11:20 AM
Post #8

It would make sense to me if the mother was single, but if she is in a relationship why give full custody unless both are married? Being married does not guarantee that the husband is the biological father.
+
magg
post 29.May.2014, 01:38 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Poca @ 29.May.2014, 11:20 AM) *
It would make sense to me if the mother was single, but if she is in a relationship why give full custody unless both are married? Being married does not guarantee that the hu ... (show full quote)

Legally, the mother is single, sambo is a rather vague category, still you can encounter many forms which only let you choose between single and married as your civil status. But in any case, as axiom has told you, the state needs a bit more to go on than the mother's or potential father's word. If the parents are married, yes, that doesn't necessarily mean the man is the biological father of the child, but it means he has entered a legally binding contract with the woman, one that also includes presumed paternity. Whether or not the partners are cheating on each other is not the state's problem. But if the parents are not married, at the time of birth no one is legally presumed to be the father, so in order to enter someone in the registry, there needs to be a bit more to go on than just the mother saying who it was.
And as long as the Swedish man is not officially the father of the baby, of course the baby has no citizenship on record in the Swedish books, until the mother requests her own citizenship for the baby it is in fact stateless, but presumed to have the citizenship of the mother.
+
Funfactory
post 29.May.2014, 01:43 PM
Post #10

What's the apprehension of getting married? Scared of divorce costs , comittment etc? You can't have the whole cake smile.gif
+
Poca
post 29.May.2014, 01:47 PM
Post #11

Ok, it seems like the concept of common law partners is not recognized in Sweden. It's still interesting that a country where religion is not really important that the act of getting married seems to be that important for hover mental matters.

QUOTE (magg @ 29.May.2014, 01:38 PM) *
Legally, the mother is single, sambo is a rather vague category, still you can encounter many forms which only let you choose between single and married as your civil status. ... (show full quote)

+
LauraCristescu
post 29.May.2014, 01:57 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Poca @ 29.May.2014, 02:47 PM) *
Ok, it seems like the concept of common law partners is not recognized in Sweden. It's still interesting that a country where religion is not really important that the act ... (show full quote)

It is recognized, it just does not cover children i think. But it's weird, because i remember a bit here the guy can basically sort of sign the name on the dotted line as the father. As for the religion bit, you CAN get married legally without being married in a church by a priest or whatever the chosen faith calls for.
+
Poca
post 29.May.2014, 02:01 PM
Post #13

I don't think that people who do not get married do so because of a negative apprehension to the act itself. Specially sinnce nowadays divorced is seen as common and as accepted as taking a shower. I just don't understand how, in 2014 getting married is still preferencial on a "governmental" level, specially with issues regarding children and their rights.

QUOTE (magg @ 29.May.2014, 01:38 PM) *
Legally, the mother is single, sambo is a rather vague category, still you can encounter many forms which only let you choose between single and married as your civil status. ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Funfactory @ 29.May.2014, 01:43 PM) *
What's the apprehension of getting married? Scared of divorce costs , comittment etc? You can't have the whole cake smile.gif
+
LLHope
post 29.May.2014, 06:46 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Poca @ 29.May.2014, 01:01 PM) *
I just don't understand how, in 2014 getting married is still preferencial on a "governmental" level, specially with issues regarding children and their rights.

It doesn't make any difference to the rights of the child in Sweden.
+
The Green Turtle
post 29.May.2014, 08:23 PM
Post #15

Thanks all for your replies. Like I mentioned earlier, the pregnancy was an IVF one so you would think that they would have all the medical details on file. They could check whose sperm was donated if they really wanted to- it would certainly save me chasing up paperwork. The child was born in a Swedish hospital to a Swedish father and to a mother who has residency.
I just want my kid to have a passport so we can travel...

And to the poster who asked why I wasn't married, ask the Swede!
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options