• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Fakeness: Is it a swedish characteristic?

a newcomers first impressions

rj2279
post 28.May.2014, 06:30 PM
Post #1

Hi all,

Thank you so much for actively contributing to this forum, even in the age of Google, you cant find information like here at thelocal.se anywhere else on the internet.

I just arrived with my girlfriend in Sweden a couple of weeks ago and having read a lot about the Swedes prior to coming here was expecting a lot of reserved, shy or even cold people here but my observations have been quite different!

I would like to share them here:

1. We are staying with a bunch of students for the summer and they all seem quite outgoing and social! I agree this might be an exception (them being students and all) but still. We have met quite a few of them and they all fit the bill.

2. Having said that, it seems difficult to get close to them! We hang out, have dinners, etc but they still havent invited us out to a student party or even beer in town (even after we invited them to dinner/drinks). This seems very odd.

3. The girls are stunning! As expected. But also come off as quite fake. Almost everyone has a fake tan (read solarium) and alot of them have tattoos! Not to mention the truckloads of makeup everybody wears. They smile and seem chatty when you meet them but are always in a hurry to end the conversation. Same with the service sector, police, etc.

4. Everyone dresses up like Ken and Barbie. It seems everyone is much more into looks than character.

5. Theres a lot of fat, greasy food (macdonalds, kebabs, pizzas, etc) and a lot of gyms! A lot of people can be seen running around and going to the gym and then eating all this unhealthy food.

So as you can imagine, we are very confused now. It doesn't help either that everyone at my work is exceptionally down-to-earth and pleasant. I love it at my company but don't know what to make of it outside.

All these characteristics ive heard about before. Except the fakeness. Thats really interesting to me.

Thoughts? smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
deaftoned
post 28.May.2014, 06:36 PM
Post #2

Since everything is relative, where do you come from?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 28.May.2014, 06:42 PM
Post #3

What were they "faking"???
+
intrepidfox
post 28.May.2014, 06:49 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 28.May.2014, 06:42 PM) *
What were they "faking"???

Maybe the boobs ?
+
intrepidfox
post 28.May.2014, 06:56 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (rj2279 @ 28.May.2014, 06:30 PM) *
Hi all,Thank you so much for actively contributing to this forum, even in the age of Google, you cant find information like here at thelocal.se anywhere else on the internet.I ... (show full quote)

Learn the language. It isn't easy to hold a conversation all night in another language. It is after all Sweden

The same as 2 but i agree with the tatoos and fake tans but it isn't just Sweden or?

what is wrong about being smart? I'm an Englishman and honestly i look like a tramp with my dress code.

There is greasy unhealthy food everywhere. The only good thing is that Swedish pizza's are good. There are gyms all over the world as well
+
Svensksmith
post 28.May.2014, 07:28 PM
Post #6

Get out of Stockholm and visit the countryside. Your opinion may change a bit.
+
Willy
post 28.May.2014, 07:57 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 28.May.2014, 08:28 PM) *
Get out of Stockholm and visit the countryside. Your opinion may change a bit.

Thought the same. From that description, he must have ended up in Stockholm.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 29.May.2014, 12:59 AM
Post #8

No matter where he goes...what is being faked???

To say the Swedes are "faking"...what the hell is that about???
+
Darwinder
post 29.May.2014, 07:48 AM
Post #9

Best pizza in the world??!! Oh man, I hate the pizza here, its not pizza if you can't hold it up by the crust and everything doesn't fall off it! haha =)

As for the rest, well your new here. Be lucky you got in with students, they are the fun ones here in Sweden and most have travelled a lot so they are a lot more open (or that is at least what I have found) and willing to have fun.

Don't be so judgy on the rest of the crap, Sweden is like any other country. There is fast food, gyms, cafes all the normal stuff, and there is also almost 10 million people so not everyone is hitting the gym, dressing like ken and then eating kebab (although there is quite a few =) ). I agree with your perception of the girls to a degree. There is a lot of incredibly smart women here but there is of course what I call the "glam" squad, the ones that spend all day shopping and all night dreaming of drinking rose vin and figuring out a way to afford lip surgery without paying for it themselves. Don't worry though, other Swedish girls make fun of them more than you ever will =)

Best of luck!
+
rj2279
post 29.May.2014, 08:47 AM
Post #10

Thanks for your inputs everyone.

Well to answer your questions, we've lived in several place in Asia, Australia, Europe and the US before coming here and we both agree the emphasis on looks is more extreme than anything we have seen before.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here and am glad we came. I find the Swedish attitude towards health and looks fascinating. Was just wondering if other people had picked up on this as well. Obviously not as much.

As for the faking part, I do not think it is as subjective as some people like to put it here. A country notorious for its lack of sun full of tanned people? You tell me where the sense lies in that.

And yes, I agree not everyone is like that. Most of the Swedes we have met outside of Sweden weren't half as concerned about their looks. Its only after arriving here we have noticed the trend.
+
makemydag
post 29.May.2014, 09:06 AM
Post #11

You still haven't answered were you ended up?

The larger cities in Sweden are significantly different than their more rural counterparts. I live right next to a university, and I haven't had a weekend without something to do since I got here.They are very friendly, but some don't talk to me as much because they are self conscious about their English, and don't want to seem stupid or uneducated. It's totally understandable, and I am looking forward to when I can contribute to a conversation in their language.

Not all Swedish girls wear makeup, and I think that also depends on when you are living. They have fantastic skin, and most of the makeup I see is mascara.

Yes there are a lot of tattoos, but that's just a sign of the times. That has nothing to do with Sweden, there are more tattooed people everywhere.

Fake tans are also common, but it isn't always what you think. A lot of people go to nearby countries with beaches, and tan like crazy, then come home. Additionally, during the long winters it's actually smart to tan a little to get the benefits of the Vitamin D, and to combat SADD.

Like the other posters have said, try to look at it again without being so critical. Not ALL Swedes are fake, but there might be a high concentration of fake people where you are (especially if it's in Stockholm).
+
LLHope
post 29.May.2014, 09:15 AM
Post #12

Fakeness is a human characteristic, doesn't matter which country you are in you will find it.

Do you go out naked, or care about how you look (if that is what you are judging with this post)? rolleyes.gif

+
intrepidfox
post 29.May.2014, 09:21 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Darwinder @ 29.May.2014, 07:48 AM) *
Best pizza in the world??!! Oh man, I hate the pizza here, its not pizza if you can't hold it up by the crust and everything doesn't fall off it! haha =)

If you have eaten an English pizza then any pizza is the best in the world, smile.gif
+
gplusa
post 29.May.2014, 10:21 AM
Post #14

Too soon to break out the "T" word ?
+
Funfactory
post 29.May.2014, 01:46 PM
Post #15

Big city life
+

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se