• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Parking rules in Sweden

parking in Uppsala for several days

RavenX
post 31.Jul.2014, 03:44 PM
Post #1

Apologies for bringing up this topic again, but I just got two parking tickets in row (500 SEK each) for leaving my car for several days under a P sign. Now I've done some research about this and know about the unfortunate 24-hour max parking rule. Almost starting to regret bringing in my car to Sweden.

However, it's not perfectly clear if the 24-hour rule applies only to areas marked by the P sign, or does it apply to all parking areas at the side of a street? I'm in Uppsala, if this makes any difference.

Next week I'm traveling again, and will have to leave the car unattended for ~5 days. If the 24-hour rule is universal, can you suggest long-term parking options in the local area?
Go to the top of the page
+
Belize
post 31.Jul.2014, 05:36 PM
Post #2

Wouldn't it be cheaper to leave car at home and take a taxi?
+
ChocOwl
post 31.Jul.2014, 06:00 PM
Post #3

http://www.uppsala.se/sv/Boendemiljotrafik...ator/Parkering/
http://www.uppsalaparkering.se/?p=1
hope that helps
+
RavenX
post 1.Aug.2014, 08:44 AM
Post #4

So basically there are little options for free stree-side parking even outside the city center? That's a disapointment. I guess that was something I took for granted, even in larger cities, when I was living in the Baltic states.

@Belize: you misunderstand. I'm living in Uppsala now, and want to leave the car here.

@ChocOwl: thanks. Could do for the worst case... Not what I was looking for though - none of the places are in 10min walking distance from where I'm living, and the cheapest rate is 1200 kr/mån. Paying the occasional parking fine may actually be cheaper...
+
ChocOwl
post 1.Aug.2014, 11:18 AM
Post #5

the terms to google are things like
boendeparkering
långtidsparkering
gratis parkering

Or, can you rent a parking space through your landlord (and pay a monthly fee)? This is often possible if you live in a large apartment building.
Otherwise you could rent one privately from someone - not sure how to find one, perhaps there are ads on Blocket?
+
Abe L
post 1.Aug.2014, 12:59 PM
Post #6

Paid parking has unfortunately become an incurable cancer in Sweden, even at your own bloody house. Outrageously high fines are just getting more common, try parking your car to close to a corner and you can really skip eating for a month. Land lords will charge you for parking space and outside parking is usually also paid. It is really strange that in a country where unless you live in the unaffordable center of a few towns you are by default forced to using a car. Even more so considering the outrageous taxes you pay. They happily give you a year of vacation for getting a kid but basic mobility is not included or deemed important by the decision making crowd (which ironically either have personal drivers or live in those unaffordable places).
+
Model T Ford
post 1.Aug.2014, 01:49 PM
Post #7

I used to think that parking limitations and fines were unfair in Sweden until I lived there for many years.

The biggest thing going for them is they get cars off the roads, especially during the winters when snow accumulations can become such a problem for traveling.

I was reminded of this all during last winter in New Have, CI where the parking meters and parking fines are comparable to Swedish ones, and where parking is free - and that includes the majority of roads - it is a nightmare when it snows.
+
TLSucks
post 1.Aug.2014, 08:05 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (RavenX @ 1.Aug.2014, 08:44 AM) *
So basically there are little options for free stree-side parking even outside the city center? That's a disapointment. I guess that was something I took for granted, even ... (show full quote)

Street parking for residents usually costs around 300-600 kr/month. Look for boendeparkering. There is no such thing as free parking in town/cities.
+
IvanDraga
post 2.Aug.2014, 06:45 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Abe L @ 1.Aug.2014, 12:59 PM) *
Paid parking has unfortunately become an incurable cancer in Sweden, even at your own bloody house.

Local kommuns usually set restrictions for parking places, for residence places usually one car place for one apartment, but for businesses can be that only 20% of employees have place for car.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options