• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Tax on Foreign Salary ?

Saving Money

blewyn
post 8.Aug.2014, 09:36 AM
Post #1

If my wife and I move to Sweden will I be taxed on my foreign salary ? I will be spending less than 183 days/year in Sweden, and working in a country that does not charge income tax.
Go to the top of the page
+
sonnyyy
post 8.Aug.2014, 05:57 PM
Post #2

According to my research you would not have to pay income tax. My partner is in the same situation and we are thinking about moving to Sweden. The tax thing would be a huge factor.

According to this link (http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/taxes/income-taxes-abroad/sweden/employed_en.htm) you would not have to pay tax but I would contact the Swedish tax agency before actually making the move to make sure. (www.skatteverket.se)
+
LLHope
post 8.Aug.2014, 10:31 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (blewyn @ 8.Aug.2014, 08:36 AM) *
If my wife and I move to Sweden will I be taxed on my foreign salary ? I will be spending less than 183 days/year in Sweden, and working in a country that does not charge income tax.

Whilst Sweden taxes individuals separately, one has to keep in mind that tax is based upon residence. Just because you will be outside of the country for 6 months does not mean you are not resident! The tax office has the option to determine that if you have significant ties in Sweden, whether financial or social, then you are technically resident and therefore liable for tax. If your wife is resident in Sweden for more than 6 months, and you leave on the borderline time, then it is possible you can be classed as resident and liable for income tax.

There is a special form available from the tax office, check the web/contact them, that you can fill in and request to be tax exempt.
+
redblue
post 9.Aug.2014, 05:40 AM
Post #4

All you need to know:
http://www4.skatteverket.se/rattsligvagled...014.2/2636.html

Contact info:
https://www.skatteverket.se/omoss/kontaktao...bf6db8000116919

+
Opalnera
post 9.Aug.2014, 08:16 AM
Post #5

I must be very Swedish, I actually believe paying tax is a good thing, contributes to schools and hospitals and stuff that people need.
+
sonnyyy
post 21.Aug.2014, 02:49 PM
Post #6

I have to correct myself on my previous post. My partner and I are in the same situation, therefore I have contacted skatteverket to make sure. What they basically said is even if you are 183 days out of the country you would still have to pay tax on your worldwide income as your home would be in Sweden.
+
Somebody
post 21.Aug.2014, 03:40 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Opalnera @ 9.Aug.2014, 07:16 AM) *
I must be very Swedish, I actually believe paying tax is a good thing, contributes to schools and hospitals and stuff that people need.

that's how you have been brainwashed ? smile.gif they have succeeded smile.gif
You are very Swedish wink.gif

Schools, hospitals and stuff are free in the whole EU countries for their residents.
There is nothing special in Sweden. Hospitals and seeing GP is actually not totally free here.
So stop getting excited beacuse you have no real reason for that..
the only difference is higher education which is free here and not in for example the UK.
+
Somebody
post 21.Aug.2014, 03:42 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (sonnyyy @ 21.Aug.2014, 02:49 PM) *
I have to correct myself on my previous post. My partner and I are in the same situation, therefore I have contacted skatteverket to make sure. What they basically said is eve ... (show full quote)

how do they work out where your home is in that case?
+
LLHope
post 21.Aug.2014, 04:03 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Somebody @ 21.Aug.2014, 02:42 PM) *
how do they work out where your home is in that case?

...because (as mentioned in an earlier post...
The tax office has the option to determine that if you have significant ties in Sweden, whether financial or social, then you are technically resident and therefore liable for tax. If your wife is resident in Sweden for more than 6 months, and you leave on the borderline time, then it is possible you can be classed as resident and liable for income tax.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN