• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Swede's opinions of the British?

British reputation

-Hjoi-
post 10.Aug.2014, 08:28 PM
Post #1

Hello.

I have visited Sweden but during my time there, I didn't ask the Swedish what they thought of the British. The UK has a long history with Scandinavia, particularity the Vikings, who came to the UK and mixed their DNA with that of the local Anglo Saxon peoples. So, a lot of us British come from your ancestors, but in modern times, I think we are very different groups of people. British people look and act differently to you Scandinavians but I don't know what these differences are exactly.

Sure this is generalizing but if there was an American, a British, and a Sweden in a room together, and the British person was told to stand with the person who they are like most, which would it be? The American or the Swede?

Definitely, it would be the American, because they speak our language but do Swedes share the same morals and principles as the British?

If you go to Scotland, especially the Isle of Skye, you will find that a lot of the locals look like Norwegian people, as those isles are close to the West coast of Norway. But what are the differences between Swedish people and Norwegian people?

British people seem to appear more Scandinavian the further north you go and this makes sense, as it was in these parts of the UK, that the Vikings settled.
Go to the top of the page
+
Hisingen
post 10.Aug.2014, 08:45 PM
Post #2

And the purpose, or reason, for your posting is exacly what ? ?
+
-Hjoi-
post 10.Aug.2014, 08:55 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 10.Aug.2014, 08:45 PM) *
And the purpose, or reason, for your posting is exacly what ? ?

I told you in the thread title.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Aug.2014, 09:04 PM
Post #4

In your post you mention Viking heritage in the British Isles/England...The native Swedes have no reason to claim the same as you never colonized/conquered or came in mass immigration to Sweden...but???
+
Hisingen
post 10.Aug.2014, 09:48 PM
Post #5

In which case you would have done better to just give us the heading and forget the rest, since there is little point in it as far as I can see.

cool.gif cool.gif
+
-Hjoi-
post 10.Aug.2014, 09:53 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 10.Aug.2014, 09:48 PM) *
In which case you would have done better to just give us the heading and forget the rest, since there is little point in it as far as I can see.. cool.gif cool.gif

I don't understand why you reply to this thread if you see no point in it? Really, you'd be better off ignoring it entirely.

I created this thread because it has meaning to me, not to you, and I would like to hear these stereotypes and generalizations people have for the UK. We all have them, and while they are incorrect, it is interesting and also fun to read people's opinions.

+
Localer
post 10.Aug.2014, 10:42 PM
Post #7

Aaah as usual, discussion turned into arguments. Guys, continue please. I have my pop corn ready.
+
Svensksmith
post 11.Aug.2014, 12:07 AM
Post #8

I once started a thread asking what Europeans thought of Americans because I have encountered so many anti-American postings on this forum. I caught some flak from that one, accusing me of stirring up trouble but that was not my intention. I was just curious where and why all the negativity was coming from. True there are always the stereotypes: the rude, obnoxious American, the snobby, class conscious Brit, the smart but sneaky Asian, the punctual and precise German... whether or not these stereotypes have any basis in fact is hard to tell. Overall, I find we are all more alike than we are different.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 11.Aug.2014, 12:18 AM
Post #9

Forgetting the dumb Ole, inebriated Mick, the Itai waving his hands and those King related beret wearing snail eaters!!!!

Hiding now!!! laugh.gif
+
skogsbo
post 11.Aug.2014, 06:51 AM
Post #10

too many generalisation, what features do those on the various western isle share with Norwegians. The Vikings probably had greater influence on the East of England, North Yorkshire, Northumberland etc. than they ever did in Scotland. Plus, since that time so much has happened to change people characters and appearance, it's poorly down to speculation, unless you start looking at individual people, their family trees and DNA testing them. Character traits of individual nations are more likely to be influence by a nation previous 100 or 200 years and their history, religion, wars with neighbours, wealth or poverty etc. and their politics.
+
LLHope
post 11.Aug.2014, 11:09 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 11.Aug.2014, 06:51 AM) *
than they ever did in Scotland.

Actually you will find that the genetic inheritance from Vikings is greater in Scotland than the rest of Britain.

The OP appears to have the opinion that the Vikings had the greatest influence on British gene-pool, but the reality is it isn't, Viking genes are quite diluted, and the British isles has a long history of inward migration (invasion biggrin.gif ):-

Rough list:-

Romans
Angles
Saxons
Jutes
Scots
Irish
Vikings
Normans
Romani
Huguenots
Indians
...and more...
+
skogsbo
post 11.Aug.2014, 12:57 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (LLHope @ 11.Aug.2014, 11:09 AM) *
Actually you will find that the genetic inheritance from Vikings is greater in Scotland than the rest of Britain.The OP appears to have the opinion that the Vikings had the gr ... (show full quote)

I won't disagree that UK genetics is very mixed, but the viking influence in northern England is greater than north west Scotland. There were more viking settlers there, they were there for longer too, first place in etc.. whilst many place names on Skye etc may have been retained, their scale of genetic influence was not so wide. It is more the case that more recent events like the Normans etc. Have renamed and shaped northern England more than the isles.

It's also the case that regional influences rule. There has been some big genetic research projects in recent years. One project only tested people who could show they have had both parents and grand parents residing in the same village for at least 3 generations, they then looked for say French genetic influence in the south, Roman along the great north road or near old forts, vikings etc.. it proved that what I already part knew of myself being from the north having a mix of viking and Roman genetics, but true Londoner is 'probably' more French than me. The test also showed that until a 100 year's and the mass movement of folk these regional genetic variations were very fixed and rarely diluted, as people simply met their partner from the same or next village.

the shetlands and faroes would be likely to holder a greater Nordic mix, as dilution from mainland UK has been more limited and Nordic links are still stronger.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 11.Aug.2014, 02:49 PM
Post #13

Don't forget the Normans were Vikings that settled in France...

The, then French king gave them land (Normandy and another parcel) to keep them from raiding France and to protect it from other Vikings.

They kept Normandy and then...well you know the rest!!!

P/S: Conquering William was VERY cruel to the Vikings he found in England...

Damned near wiped them out!!!

No wonder they called him "the bastard"!!!

Not really, he really was the product of and unwed mother and father!!! laugh.gif
+
skogsbo
post 11.Aug.2014, 03:04 PM
Post #14

LLhope, meant to add that from what I know, Orkneys/Shetlands are about 60% y chromosome from Norway. Western Isles/outer hebrides (like Skye/harris etc.) are 30% which is much the same is the pockets of known Viking influence in Northern England. The major difference been is that where it is 60% it is thoughts that whole families moved over and settled. The lower percentages like Skye/Yorkshire is where manly the men settled and took local wifes and their numbers. But, this is hardly conclusive as y chromosome don't follow both side, so presumptions and guesswork is involved. There is team from Nottingham Uni doing some research into the genetics of men who have 2 generations in the various parts of the north east. This is try and differentiate between Danish, Swedish and Norwegian genetics is different parts of the North.

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 11.Aug.2014, 02:49 PM) *
Don't forget the Normans were Vikings that settled in France...

yes, but following on from the above. There was something of a carve-up where the North of England was concerned, as often warring tribes of Vikings grabbed different areas. A settlement was established at Scarborough, around 950AD by a Viking raider called Thorgils Skarthi.(spelling?). However the community was soon burned to the ground by a rival band of Vikings including Harald of Norway. York was established as Jorvik by the Danes, but in 1066 came a Norwegian attack that led to the battle with King Harold at Stamford Bridge, shortly before th Battle of Hastings.

So whilst the Normans of Normandy (later "The French"), we indeed Nord men or men of the North, their country of origin varies. Hence the research Notts Uni is doing to establish just who ruled which county so to speak.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 11.Aug.2014, 03:09 PM
Post #15

And since 1066 nobody from Europe, invaded England successfully again!!!

Excepting the Channel Islands in WW2
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options