• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

How did the Nordic race become so tall so fast?

Viking Anthropology

-Hjoi-
post 11.Aug.2014, 04:45 PM
Post #1

I have searched google for an answer to this question but I didn't find one. So, I thought why not ask the Swedish themselves, as they'll likely know more about this than any other race.

The Vikings are mistaken for tall people. This is incorrect, as the average height for a Viking was 5'7. In today's times, the Nordic race, along with the Dutch, is the tallest in the world.

So in the space of 500-1000 years, which is incredibly short in evolution terms, the Nordic race has grown to over 6'0 tall.

How and why did such a height increase occur in such a small time frame. Other European races did not grow to be as tall, particularity the British, despite some Viking influence, the average height in Britain today, is 5'10, compared with Scandinavia, 6'0.

Why are Nordic people so tall today?
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 11.Aug.2014, 04:56 PM
Post #2

Lutefisk and Surströmming laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
+
Becabeca
post 11.Aug.2014, 05:23 PM
Post #3

A little tongue in cheek, but being quite tall myself. I was rather disappointed to find that Nordic men are not as tall as hoped. 6ft 4 and above please!
+
skogsbo
post 11.Aug.2014, 06:03 PM
Post #4

most European races have only surged an extra 1-6" in the past 2 centuries. If you go in any old Nordic house, you'll find doorway and roof lintels are 5'5". Most increased growth in the west can be attributed to improved diet and better health care in the past 100 years. Nothing major has happened genetically (IMHO).
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 11.Aug.2014, 06:10 PM
Post #5

Amen...

For proof go to the museum that has Karl XII's uniform...not big at all...
+
Emerentia
post 11.Aug.2014, 06:34 PM
Post #6

The average height for men in Sweden is 181.5 cm (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in) and 166.8 cm (5 ft 5 1⁄2 in) for women.
The average height for men in UK (England) 177.8 cm (5 ft 10 in) and 163.3 cm (5 ft 4 1⁄2 in) for women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height
+
Emerentia
post 11.Aug.2014, 06:56 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (-Hjoi- @ 11.Aug.2014, 04:45 PM) *
This is incorrect, as the average height for a Viking was 5'7.

Perhaps it was the poor and short guys who got rejected by Swedish women, who got frustrated by that and therefore became vikings to make a better living or find some foreign women instead, while the tall guys stayed in Scandinavia and got families and became our ancestors. ;)
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 11.Aug.2014, 07:39 PM
Post #8

Many a true thing is said in jest!!!

From what I have read about Vikings; I believe the only place that they brought their women folk to, was England!!!

In other places they married the local girls and faded into their population...in a way that means just about everybody in Europe and in the range of the "long ships" has a Viking in their family tree...

On the whole, not a bad accomplishment...their influence and culture made Europe what it is today...

Where would we be without them???
+
intrepidfox
post 11.Aug.2014, 08:34 PM
Post #9

They have all been put on the rack
+
Svensksmith
post 11.Aug.2014, 08:54 PM
Post #10

It's a proven fact, fika makes you taller.
+
Hisingen
post 11.Aug.2014, 10:03 PM
Post #11

I heard it was all down to Baby Bio.

smile.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 11.Aug.2014, 10:11 PM
Post #12

All height measurements must be taken outdoors!!!

And that's for those of you who think!!! rolleyes.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
+
trumanshow
post 12.Aug.2014, 06:46 PM
Post #13

Why are sunflowers so tall? They reach for the sun because they need it most.
+
Opalnera
post 12.Aug.2014, 06:56 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (trumanshow @ 12.Aug.2014, 05:46 PM) *
Why are sunflowers so tall? They reach for the sun because they need it most.

laugh.gif This seems legit, also the Dutch live below sea level so they have to be tall so that they 1. don't get the bottoms of their pants wet and 2. can be at the same altitude as the rest of us.

Seriously why is the OP so obsessed with Swedes and Swedish genetics? It's a bit weird if you ask me.

I don't have any Swedish or Dutch heritage and I'm 5'9. I'm going to say it's because when my mum told me to eat my vegetables I did.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 12.Aug.2014, 07:59 PM
Post #15

Always listening to your mum...always results in a...higher station...in life!!!
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options