• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Wedding in Stockholm

Looking for church, partycentrum and tips&tricks!

Swengla
post 12.Aug.2014, 01:14 PM
Post #1

Hej,

I am getting married to a Swede in Stockholm!
We are hoping to get married in the summer or autumn of 2015, depending on a lot of variables.

I am trying to search for locations but I do not seem to get past wedding dresses, photographers, envelopes and whatnot, I know I am searching with the wrong keywords, so if anyone could send me in the right direction that would be great!

I am looking for a location:
  • max. 30 minute drive from Stockholm
  • Church for 50-70 people
  • Place to have reception/dinner/cake/party for 50-70 people
  • Place to sleep for around 25 people

Since I will be having guests come over from abroad it would be great if it all is within walkable distance of each other since they will not be coming with a car.
I also just think it is nice to have it close to each other so we wont have to involve tour-buses.

Anyone knows any places that might suit this, or what google terms I should use?
Tack!
Go to the top of the page
+
Essingen55
post 12.Aug.2014, 01:50 PM
Post #2

English church in Stockholm...

http://www.stockholmanglicans.se/

Reception could either be in the adjoining hall (which is owned by another organisation). You would probably have to use outside caterers.

Alternatively if you want a smarter reception, you could use this place, about 7 minutes walk away...

http://kallhagen.se/en

Both are in the diplomatic area...perfect for a wedding.
+
LLHope
post 12.Aug.2014, 02:18 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Swengla @ 12.Aug.2014, 12:14 PM) *
Church for 50-70 people

Check carefully with the church beforehand, if I remember correctly many require that you are paid-up members (i.e. a portion of your income is deducted and given to the church in the tax declaration) before they will allow the church to be used. At least the Swedish Church used to have that requirement.
+
Essingen55
post 12.Aug.2014, 02:34 PM
Post #4

From the website...

Who can get married at St Peter and St Sigfrid's?

If you are looking to be married in English using the Anglican wedding service the following conditions apply:

At least one of you should be baptised.
If either of you has a partner from a previous marriage who is still living we will need to request the bishop's permission for you to marry (see below).
You must both be of an age to marry by law.
All Swedish legal requirements will need to be fulfilled
+
Opalnera
post 12.Aug.2014, 06:30 PM
Post #5

To be honest given your circumstances I would probably go to a Herrgård (manor house), then people can stay at the same place as your wedding reception, you can have the ceremony there too if you want to. Sigtuna might be a nice choice, it's close to the airport and there are a few good places (so I've heard, it was recommended to me when I was getting married but we chose to have it in the garden at my husband's parents house instead). Some words to know are "bröllop" (wedding), "vigsel" (wedding ceremony) and "lokal" (premises).

For times, I would do May or June, definitely not July or August (because July everyone is on holidays and you'll have trouble getting the services you need and August is rainy, muggy and just plain too hot and unpredictable weather). May is the most popular month to get married as that is when all the flowers are in bloom. If you want an Autumn wedding you could have it in late September or the beginning of October but definitely not late October or November.

I got married in Sweden and it was awesome, my family said it was the best wedding they had ever been to. Mind you we didn't exactly do it in the "Swedish" way, we picked and chose what traditions we liked from both our cultures and did away with the boring and/or tacky crap and partied until 4am, it was the week after midsummer so it didn't really get dark.

Good luck!
+
DuneSunny
post 12.Aug.2014, 06:45 PM
Post #6

Lidingö - Sealodge is a super location - look up http://sv.hotels.com/ho422377/gashaga-seal...idingo-sverige/
+
DuneSunny
post 12.Aug.2014, 06:50 PM
Post #7

Just make sure that you get some good pre-nuptial / pre-divorce agreement in place.
+
Swengla
post 13.Aug.2014, 02:35 PM
Post #8

Thanks for the helpful replies!
+
Emerentia
post 13.Aug.2014, 04:27 PM
Post #9

Check out these wedding sites, they are in Swedish, but I don't think anybody would mind if you ask your questions in English there. I think there more people who can answer your questions there than there are here.

http://www.brollopstorget.se/forum
http://www.brollopsguiden.se/forum/1
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN