• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Evolution and/or devolution?

Do you believe in either???

Gamla Hälsingebock
post 16.Aug.2014, 03:42 PM
Post #1

What came first...the chicken...or...the egg???

George Carlin said: "if man came from apes...how come we still have apes"???

The anthropologists accepted theory is that mankind walked out of Africa a long time ago!!!

Not all agree with this!!!

Were we already what we are today, then???

So!!!

What if the current native African population "walked out of Africa" today???

Would they in turn, over time, change into white, yellow or brown people???

And then to repopulate Africa, if all the existing white, yellow or brown people were moved there, would they in time resemble today's native Africans???

It is said that yesterday's dinosaurs are today's birds...does that sound right to you???

Any thoughts???
Go to the top of the page
+
Opalnera
post 16.Aug.2014, 03:58 PM
Post #2

Single cell organisms came first.

The thing with science is, it's not something to "believe", it's either something that can reasonably be explained and reapplied from knowledge OR it's not science.

Do you like Tim Minchin? I recommend his short film Storm.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 16.Aug.2014, 04:19 PM
Post #3

Nice film...

What I like about "science" is, when they find something new they say this is definitely the answer...until they again find something new!!! rolleyes.gif
+
LauraCristescu
post 16.Aug.2014, 04:31 PM
Post #4

And whats wrong with that? As opposed to the previous school that said "This is fact, this is the answer" and when new answers were provided and proved, they refused to accept it. One important part of science is the ability to mold itself to new evidence and admit when they are wrong.

As for the evolution part, evolution is best observed in organisms that have a very short life span with a high reproduction rate. In humans it takes ages to notice anything.

But i would venture to give an example of native populations that reside at very high altitudes, and how their environment affected the way they breathe. They have no issue, low altitude folk need masks.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 16.Aug.2014, 04:43 PM
Post #5

I was not saying it is/was wrong...when new evidence replaces what we formerly knew it is a step in the right direction, the exception is that today's knowledge is tomorrows folly...How could we think that way when we now know this...sort of thing!!!

And then, we believe...until tomorrow!!!

It's a learning curve!!! biggrin.gif
+
LauraCristescu
post 16.Aug.2014, 05:10 PM
Post #6

Yup. Personally i find it fascinating. I love watching documentaries that show the beliefs people had in the past. Especially Middle Ages. If you think of it from their point of view, some of it makes sense, even if we now know it's complete folly. or at the very least not the complete picture.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 16.Aug.2014, 05:30 PM
Post #7

The ones I like best are:

The world is flat!!!...don't sail over the edge!!!

The world is the center of the universe and the sun revolves around it!!!...Poor Galileo!!!
+
Opalnera
post 16.Aug.2014, 06:01 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 16.Aug.2014, 04:19 PM) *
Nice film.... What I like about "science" is, when they find something new they say this is definitely the answer...until they again find something new!!! rolleyes.gif

We gain new knowledge constantly so of course science has to readjust its views accordingly. That's what is so great about science.

+
Hisingen
post 16.Aug.2014, 06:40 PM
Post #9

Man is said to have descended from the ape, but obviously the ape didn't make a very good job of it.
But then, the ape him/herself must have come from one of those single cells, so thereby hangs a tail (tale).

Just a thought - were the apes of different colours - so that they resulted in what we have today - or was that the fault originating from the single cell?

Einstein had white hair in all the pictures I have seen of him. Did he have any other hair colour as a younger man or was that the result of his work on his theory of relativity??

Personally, bearing in mind the aggression taking place around the world today, I feel that mankind is more on the way to devolution than anything else. Anyway, I read that there is something heading towards earth that could put an end to everything. Sometime around 2880 I believe it will be. Guess we will need cocoa and sandwiches if we are to stay up and see it - - -

rolleyes.gif
+
Opalnera
post 16.Aug.2014, 06:47 PM
Post #10

What was that movie with Ben Afleck and Liv Tyler...oh yeah Armageddon.

I don't wanna cloooose my eeeeeyes, I don't wanna faaaallll asleep cos I miss you babe, and I don't wanna miss a thiiing.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 16.Aug.2014, 06:54 PM
Post #11

I'm for the different colored apes.

So let's get controversial!!!

If the apes were of different color...did the black ones drive the others out???

And if so is that the sowing of the seeds of racism???

Or did they want to leave because they found the black apes...too???

Is that the beginning of anti multiculturism...or anti ethnic diversity???

Did they even think about that???

So why did any of them leave...new wave immigration???

Job opportunities...searching for girl friends/boy friends???

Or I bet overpopulation and competition for resources!!!...Yes???

+
skogsbo
post 16.Aug.2014, 07:20 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 16.Aug.2014, 06:54 PM) *
I'm for the different colored apes.So let's get controversial!!!If the apes were of different color...did the black ones drive the others out???And if so i ... (show full quote)

But we did not come from apes, but we do share the same common genetic ancestors, along with chimps and gorillas.

The case for evolution is solid. Or by simple definition a series of successful mistakes ie. Genetic mutations.

If you want to get all religious then consider what was before the universe, multi verses, the laws of science , or its orecision... Yet random mutations are key to our existence. There is clearly much to learn and future refinement.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 16.Aug.2014, 07:38 PM
Post #13

"But we did not come from apes"

Science seems to say we do...where do you think we came from???
+
skogsbo
post 16.Aug.2014, 09:56 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 16.Aug.2014, 07:38 PM) *
"But we did not come from apes". Science seems to say we do...where do you think we came from???
you are missing the point, we didn't come from any ape type species that exists today; us, our various semi human ancestors, apes, chimp, gorillas all share the same common ancestors which are now extinct.
Much like say, a green finch, cross bill, bull finch etc will also share a common ancestor, but are now separate distinct species.
+
Hek
post 16.Aug.2014, 10:24 PM
Post #15

My mother in law who is a genuin southern baptist says about different rases and speach that there were many "paradises"... She forgot about Noah and his boat....
Also a work friend that was studying religon said that there are answers to that too. I answered " Keep it to your selfe. I stopped belive in faritales many, many years ago. He was offended. LOL

Still it is interesting that to the belivers no arguments are valid. ...
+

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options