• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Requirements For U.S. Citizen Visiting Sweden? ($)

Will be going next year for 90 days

RainbowDragon
post 20.Aug.2014, 07:54 AM
Post #1

Hello everyone. I am a U.S. citizen who will be visiting Sweden in early 2015 for approximately 90 days. I have a valid passport (just got it in May) but I'm wondering if there are other entry requirements to visit the country--i.e. proof of sufficient funds.

The U.S. travel site mentions that Schengen countries have a requirement for "sufficient funds" but doesn't specify how many. On Migrationsverket I found something that stated the requirement is 450 SEK/day and that this needs to be proven via bank statements, etc. However, I am wondering if anyone here knows exactly how much or where this information is?

I plan on getting some SEK here in the U.S. via currency exchange with my bank before I go and carrying my credit card just in case. I will be staying with my girlfriend though while I am there so I won't be needing to pay for lodging or food (I'm mostly bringing the cash in case of emergencies and to buy some souvenirs). Is there a way to prove that I will be staying with her? Should I have a bank statement with 40500 SEK (4500 USD) just in case?

My flight will be going through Iceland (REJ) before landing in Stockholm. Will I have to show the proof of sufficient funds in Iceland or in Stockholm? Or both?

Sorry if any of this is confusing! I'm a bit confused about this myself! Thanks in advance for any help. biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
cherrybubble
post 20.Aug.2014, 08:25 AM
Post #2

But...I don't think you need a visa to enter? I know that when you apply for a visitor visa to sweden (as citizens of a country that need visas to enter sweden) you attach documents showing that you have enough money to not become dependent on the state when you visit. I don't think the same rules apply to US citizens. BUT if they do, you can probably show your girlfriends bank statement as well and she can sponsor your visit.

I recommend calling the swedish embassy in the states. They are pretty helpful!!
+
Case officer
post 20.Aug.2014, 10:07 AM
Post #3

At the border control you need to show that you have enough money to support yourself during your visit. If somebody elee will pay for you you should be able to present an invitation from that person. Akso you should have a ticket to leave Sweden or money to buy one.
+
Belize
post 20.Aug.2014, 03:52 PM
Post #4

I am an American who has been going to Sweden for many years. I typically stay from a month to 3 months. I have never been asked to show I could support myself for the time I would be in Sweden. I always have a return ticket. I wouldn't bother to bring cash very few really use cash. Everyone using a debit card with a chip and a pin number. The American credit card I use doesn't charge any exchange fees. It has no chip so I have to always show ID. You are a tourist with no plans to stay past the allowable time you will be here.
+
born2die
post 20.Aug.2014, 09:32 PM
Post #5

The link below will give you more information what you need to know when travel to Sweden.
http://www.swedenabroad.com/en-GB/Embassie...sa-Information/
+
makemydag
post 21.Aug.2014, 10:06 AM
Post #6

You don't need anything but your passport if you are staying 90 days or less. If you are staying 91 days or more, then you will need a visa. Depending on where you are flying into and where your connections are, you may or may not be asked a few questions, including "Do you have proof of a return flight?", "What is the nature of your stay?" etc. I have been to Sweden 3 times in the past 12 months, the last time is when I moved here, and there was no hassle what so ever. Sweden and the USA have a very good relationship, so it makes traveling between the two countries very easy.

I hope you have a great trip, and enjoy the beautiful country!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options