• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Wedding Ceremony in Stockholm City Hall

applying for the wedding there

Thomas_KTH
post 20.Aug.2014, 10:07 PM
Post #1

This is the first year in Stockholm for me and my girlfriend. We have a plan of holding a wedding ceremony in the Stockholm City Hall. Is there anybody who has an experience there?

I have several question about the wedding ceremony:
1. Is there a waiting list for the wedding ceremony application in City Hall? I mean, for example, should I wait for at least half year for my turn?
2. I know that the Certificate of No Impediment offered by Sweden Tax Office is required. Are there any other documents are needed for this certificate?
3. Does the procedure of application work like this: contact City Hall for application=>wait in the queue=>hand in the required document=>wedding ceremony?

Thank you very much!
Go to the top of the page
+
Emerentia
post 21.Aug.2014, 11:33 AM
Post #2

I think you can find the information you need on this page (in English further down on the page) http://www.parvis.stockholm.se/

1) There is a online booking and sometimes the waiting period more than 4 months, but i guess that depends on when you plan to get married (more people wants to get married in the spring and summer than in the autumn). You could also contact them here: E-mail: vigsel@stockholm.se Phone 08-508 29 330

2 and 3) I think you book a date online, send the "Intyg for Hindersprövning" (Certificate of No Impediment) and "Vigselintyg" (which you get from Skatteverket) to Stadshuset (Vigslar Stadshuset 105 35 Stockholm). They need to have all the paperwork 9 weeks before the wedding. And then you just go there and wait for your turn.

Marriages take place in the City Hall on Saturdays between 12.00 and 18.00. The ceremonies take place in the Oval room and last for about 5 minutes. The Oval room has a maximum capacity of 15 guests. The ceremonies are performed in Swedish but can be performed in other languages as well. The ceremony is free of charge.

Hope you'll have a lovely wedding!
+
Thomas_KTH
post 21.Aug.2014, 03:26 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Emerentia @ 21.Aug.2014, 10:33 AM) *
I think you can find the information you need on this page (in English further down on the page) http://www.parvis.stockholm.se/1) There is a online booking and sometimes the ... (show full quote)

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation cool.gif
+
Opalnera
post 21.Aug.2014, 07:07 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Thomas_KTH @ 20.Aug.2014, 09:07 PM) *
This is the first year in Stockholm for me and my girlfriend. We have a plan of holding a wedding ceremony in the Stockholm City Hall. Is there anybody who has an experience t ... (show full quote)

You could also be asked to provide a certificate of no impediment from your home country. Call them and check.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options