• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Is the sallary 38 000 gross sufficient ?

family- ( wife ,1 yealr old son) , Gotheburg

Pavol
post 21.Aug.2014, 12:47 PM
Post #1

Hello,
I got a job offer , which is located in Sweden , Gothenburg. Company offers a gross salary of 38 000 SEK / month + 5000 SEK housing allowance ( for 6-9 months only). The plan is to move to Gothenburg with my wife ( currently on maternity leave) and 1 year old son.
After a calculation and research done and found out that I should end up with around 27 800SEK after tax ( net). Plus we should be entitled to take a child benefit of 1120SEK / month. Estimated rent should be around 10 000SEK/ month for 3 bed flat/house. Am I correct?
Will the salary be sufficient to provide decent standard living for myself and my family in the area (providing that my wife will not work for fist 6-9 months) ?
Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
Somebody
post 21.Aug.2014, 01:28 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (Pavol @ 21.Aug.2014, 11:47 AM) *
Hello, I got a job offer , which is located in Sweden , Gothenburg. Company offers a gross salary of 38 000 SEK / month + 5000 SEK housing allowance ( for 6-9 months only). Th ... (show full quote)

Hej Pavol,

Where are you guys coming from?
BTW, I started in Sweden on the same salary a few years back

You will be ok, no luxury though and forget about owning a car for a while or savings.
child benefit is 1050kr but tax free...probably the one and only thing in Sweden which is tax free smile.gif
your wife will also be entitled (once she has personnummer) to minimum parental leave
5400kr/month before tax if she takes it full time (7 days/week)

and be prepared that she will not work for 2-3 years smile.gif...Sweden smile.gif

Good Luck!
+
Pavol
post 21.Aug.2014, 01:43 PM
Post #3

Hej Somebody,
Thanks for your reply.
We currently live in Slovakia( Central/ eastern Europe) .

Regarding the cars we have 2 cars at the moment and I plan to take at least one with us to Sweden ( if can be registered- not sure about the taxes and insurance)
Would my wife be able to get a personnumner is she doesn't work in Sweden? I assume you need to be a resident of the country for some time until you get a parental leave, or not?

thanks
P.
+
Somebody
post 21.Aug.2014, 02:11 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Pavol @ 21.Aug.2014, 12:43 PM) *
Hej Somebody, Thanks for your reply. We currently live in Slovakia( Central/ eastern Europe) . Regarding the cars we have 2 cars at the moment and I plan to take at least one ... (show full quote)

No problem.
I think you can have your car from Slovakia, but there is some time limit for that..probably one year.
I am not sure...
It would be much cheaper because you would not pay a local insurance and a congestion charge.

Regarding your wife, you have to write a statement that you will support her finiancially.
or maybe not because you are married...
Being married does not always mean in Sweden to support your spouse financially laugh.gif

This is Sweden.. things which have been obvious are not so obvious any more smile.gif
Anyway
She should get PN straight away. At least it was the case 3 years ago.
She does not need to be a resident for any time before she can apply for this minimum parental leave
+
LLHope
post 21.Aug.2014, 04:25 PM
Post #5

The average pay in Sweden is approx. 28.000:-/m, so you are well above that, so relative to the average person it is good.

Be careful, it all depends on whether the local Skatteverket wish to be pedantic or not as to whether you can get the personal number or just a co-ordination number immediately. If your employment contract has a standard trial period written into it (anything between 1 to 6 months) then they can easily say that until after 6 months it is not certain you cannot prove you will be in Sweden for 12 months, which is the ultimate requirement to be registered in the population register and get the holy personal number. Stress kindly when going to Skatteverket that you have a child, who also needs to be entered into the population register so that you can then arrange a place in Dagis (daycare), and they are likely to view it more kindly ...no one in Swedish public service wants to risk a scandal that involves a child! wink.gif

Whilst you may be entitled to child benefit, it can be a little complicated because you are entitled to certain benefits from your home country also, and they may want to take that into account in addition to maternity leave (parental leave). They should (but don't always) take into account any leave/monies already paid according to the Member State that you have come from.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you and/or your wife were working up to coming to Sweden, then that income (and time worked) can be used with regards not only the basic parental leave but also the income related portion, though that can take a little fight to get through ...but where there is a will there is a way biggrin.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options