• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Swedish Supermarkets in Stockholm

Food, brands, supermarket

-Hjoi-
post 21.Aug.2014, 07:23 PM
Post #1

Hello,

What is the supermarket situation like in Stockholm? I am going to visit my grandmother for 1 month in Gamla Stan, and I would like to know if the price of food in Swedish supermarkets is comparable to that in the UK. Is there a lot of choice and which supermarket is the 'main' supermarket like Asda, Morrisons, Tesco, Sainsbury's or Marks and Spencer? Are there brands like Nescafe, Cadbury and can you buy Yorkshire tea in Sweden?

Thank you.
Go to the top of the page
+
Opalnera
post 21.Aug.2014, 07:46 PM
Post #2

There isn't much to choose from in Gamla Stan, just an overpriced COOP (I think it's COOP anyway). But go a bit south to Södermalm and you'll find a proper supermarket. The most common supermarkets in Sweden are ICA, COOP, Hemköp and Willys with ICA being the most common. Nescafe yes, Cadbury no, Yorkshire tea I don't know. You can get most things in Sweden, certainly enough to get by for a month. I recommend you try some Swedish brands, for example I think Marabou is far superior chocolate to Cadbury.
+
Emerentia
post 21.Aug.2014, 08:12 PM
Post #3

Can't you ask your granny these kinds of things? She must know where she usually shop her groceries right?

Here is a comparison between the UK and Sweden:
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compa...country2=Sweden

You can find English food, like cadbury chocolate and yorkshire tea here:
http://www.englishshop.se/sv/vara-butiker

Google to find supermarkets close to Gamla stan:

https://www.google.se/maps/search/mataffär+nära+Gamla+stan
+
sv100
post 21.Aug.2014, 08:30 PM
Post #4

As I know if I'm not wrong ,
English shop is very expensive and it's products may costs 2 times or more same products in UK !

Its mainly like a shop for tourists !

Why no M&S here , same story as Carrefour !!!

Tight laws !
No investment is encouraged !
+
Emerentia
post 21.Aug.2014, 08:48 PM
Post #5

I'm guessing it's pretty expensive to by particular Swedish food items in UK too (if you are not shopping at IKEA). Stuff at the foreign foods shelf (or in special stores for foreign food) is probably quite expensive in all countries. It has to do with demand.

If there is just a handful of Brits who crave a certain food item, it's expensive for the shops to keep that item in stock. I think that a lot of people sort of doesn't understand that the item that they think is an ordinary thing that all shops should have to a low price isn't in demand here, and therefore has a lot higher price, if it's even available.

I don't go to another countries and go like "There is no ICA here! No Coop! How come? There is no place where I can buy filmjölk, Västerbottenost and Kalles kaviar?!".
+
sv100
post 21.Aug.2014, 09:00 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Emerentia @ 21.Aug.2014, 07:48 PM) *
I'm guessing it's pretty expensive to by particular Swedish food items in UK too (if you are not shopping at IKEA). Stuff at the foreign foods shelf (or in special sto ... (show full quote)

Yes true ,,

But don't mix up , products with International shops like M&S or carrefour ,

We should find them operated in Sweden .
They operated in countries with lower , higher and same population as Sweden ,
Same story as the Swedish IKEA
+
Opalnera
post 21.Aug.2014, 09:23 PM
Post #7

Wait are we complaining about the supermarkets now? What's wrong with them? They sell all the usual stuff!
+
Hallander
post 22.Aug.2014, 07:28 AM
Post #8

And dont forget that Lidl has arrived. http://www.lidl.se/cps/rde/SID-418095EC-00...hs.xsl/2794.htm (The map didnt want to paste directly}
+
skogsbo
post 22.Aug.2014, 08:57 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (sv100 @ 21.Aug.2014, 09:00 PM) *
Yes true ,, But don't mix up , products with International shops like M&S or carrefour , We should find them operated in Sweden . They operated in countries with lower ... (show full quote)

you are banging the same drum again.

M&S over priced produce of average quality, wrapped up in fancy package to convince middle class, middle aged women they are better than everyone else because they are daft enough to twice or three time the price for something. Much like other scams "taste the difference" etc. all UK chains try to sell stuff that is actually just normal quality as premium stuff.. and folk buy into it.

Carrefour, we've been there and done that. Ica Max etc. pretty much covers anything in Carrefour and if not, you can always shop locally and independently and help keep Swedish workers and local business owners in a job.

Food, a little more expensive than the UK, but then it would be, delivery costs will be high, along with other associated costs. Plus Tesco alone probably buys the same volume of stock in the UK, as all the shop put together in Sweden. Besides, Tesco is extremely bad for suppliers as it drives the price down to the bare minimum and leaves they tettering, but as it's the UK main chain it simply gives suppliers a take it or leave it price. Much like Arla's business model.

OP - if you are only coming for a month, does it really matter. Enjoy a bit of variety and try different things.
+
Snood
post 22.Aug.2014, 10:53 AM
Post #10

Most of what you might want you can get in one form or another. Whilst you can't get Yorkshire tea in supermarkets here, you can find PG Tips in most supermarkets. As has been said before, most things that aren't available in supermarkets that a Brit may want is usually available at The English Shop however their prices are 2-3x what you're used to, it's okay for the occasional home comfort.

English style sausages can be bought at Taylors and Jones butchers in Stockholm

As others have said, if it's only a month, take the time to try out new thigns, local things... some things are really nice... other things are terrible (tip: avoid filmjölk and contrary to another poster's opinion, I think Marabou chocolate is terrible)

If you choose to do any baking whilst you are over here.. you may find yourself looking for self raising flour... if you are, just ask here where you can get it. I'm sure plenty of people will help you out dry.gif

Hint: It's called Extra Fint Mjöl (Extra fine flour, for some reason)
+
sv100
post 22.Aug.2014, 09:39 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 22.Aug.2014, 07:57 AM) *
you are banging the same drum again. M&S over priced produce of average quality, wrapped up in fancy package to convince middle class, middle aged women they are better th ... (show full quote)

What ever Marks & Spencer is ! Is it good or not that much , and despite of your opinion , they have their customers world wide !

They are expanding every where ,, and they satisfies their customers other wise no customers will come again and no expanding !

Many trade marks in Sweden have they very expensive and unreasonable prices but still they are opening !

Marco Polo as an example , and many more

M&S has became an international shop world wide .

Carrefour !! It's shame that it's not yet opened in Sweden in 2014 !!!

Nothing cover anything ! As I said , every shop has it's customers .

If you are attractive business hub , or at least has attractive investment laws and procedures then
Then international companies will hurry up to open a shop in you ( as a country )

Sweden is neither Hub or has flexible laws for investment !!
------

One very simple example , coffee shops and all "affärer " close at early time evenings in main airport like Arlanda !!!

Accept as as we are or go ! That's the introduction to Sverige!

Instead of that , these Shops should work 24 hours with smile to satisfy ppl !
Most kinds of international brands /shops and restaurants can be available & should operate in the Airports for 24 hrs .

If I'm business man and see these shops closed early , then , how I can invest in this sleepy snobby country !
Wow , closed club affects even the Airport !

They are thinking to save employees rather than satisfying folk !

Välkommen /welcome to the capital of Scandinavia !
And , welcome to Sweden !
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN