• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Introducing myself to the forum

We have just landed

blackmambaza
post 23.Aug.2014, 01:32 PM
Post #1

Hi there,

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My wife and I moved to Stockholm from London on Tuesday. We are South African and had been living in London for a while now, but Stockholm is now our home.

What can I say, the past couple days have been great with the lovely weather, the beautiful city and friendly locals.

We have visited a lot of the touristy-type of places, but what are some of the other places that are great to visit?

I do have a YouTube channel which needs lots of views smile.gif

Http://www.youtube.com/mambazn

Check it out for fun.

Regards
BM
Go to the top of the page
+
Opalnera
post 23.Aug.2014, 09:21 PM
Post #2

LOL lovely weather and friendly locals? Are you sure you are in Stockholm??? biggrin.gif
+
blackmambaza
post 23.Aug.2014, 10:22 PM
Post #3

Lol I must admit that the weather was better yesterday than today.
+
LockStock
post 24.Aug.2014, 09:07 AM
Post #4

Welcome to Sweden and the forum! Enjoy your stay (and ignore the cynics biggrin.gif )!
+
blackmambaza
post 24.Aug.2014, 09:11 AM
Post #5

Thanks for that. It has been great so far.
+
Svensksmith
post 24.Aug.2014, 12:31 PM
Post #6

Your opinion may change in the depths of winter. Hopefully not. Welcome.
+
intrepidfox
post 24.Aug.2014, 12:34 PM
Post #7

Welcome to TL. Have a really good time in Sweden. Life is what you make of it so have fun and ignore all the swede haters this site.
+
Opalnera
post 24.Aug.2014, 12:53 PM
Post #8

I heard the weather is going to be better this week at least. Last week was a bit miserable.
+
Opalnera
post 24.Aug.2014, 12:59 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (LockStock @ 24.Aug.2014, 09:07 AM) *
Welcome to Sweden and the forum! Enjoy your stay (and ignore the cynics biggrin.gif )!

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 24.Aug.2014, 12:34 PM) *
Welcome to TL. Have a really good time in Sweden. Life is what you make of it so have fun and ignore all the swede haters this site.

I also recommend you ignore all the people devoid of any sense of humour. Joking that the weather is crappy when it is, in fact, crappy does not a cynic make!
+
blackmambaza
post 24.Aug.2014, 01:04 PM
Post #10

Thanks everyone. Yeah I did hear that the winter can be harsh. I've seen snow once in my life and it last for an entire 20 minutes smile.gif

People keeping telling me that it is horrible and I won't like it. To be honest, life is an adventure and I believe that it will be a good experience and let's face it, people adapt eventually.

Looking forward to freezing! smile.gif
+
Opalnera
post 24.Aug.2014, 01:10 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (blackmambaza @ 24.Aug.2014, 01:04 PM) *
Thanks everyone. Yeah I did hear that the winter can be harsh. I've seen snow once in my life and it last for an entire 20 minutes People keeping telling me that it is ho ... (show full quote)

It's just about getting the right clothes and being prepared. Get a waterproof padded jacket, padded pants you can wear over your regular pants when you are outside and good quality, waterproof, warm shoes with grip (particularly in Stockholm where it will be a lot of slush and ice). A lot of people skip the pants but I can honestly say as someone who is also from a warm climate, don't. The pants are gold. Also hats, gloves or mittens (I prefer mittens, they are warmer) and scarves of course. I love winter, I try to buy the silliest looking hats I can.

I never wear thermal underwear btw, it's just too hot inside you end up sweating bullets.

Oh and walk carefully, I fell and broke my arm two winters ago.
+
blackmambaza
post 24.Aug.2014, 01:30 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Opalnera @ 24.Aug.2014, 01:10 PM) *
It's just about getting the right clothes and being prepared. Get a waterproof padded jacket, padded pants you can wear over your regular pants when you are outside and g ... (show full quote)

That's some valuable advice! Thanks. I knew I should have brought more stuff over from the UK. i'll definitely look out retailers that stock the padded clothing. I guess it is a bit too early for the stores to have them out over here right?

I also prefer mittens because are are definitely more effective. Kinda remind me of oven gloves, but they do the trick. smile.gif I wanted to get one of those Sweden winter hats with the pom poms, but sadly there weren't enough pom poms haha
+
Opalnera
post 24.Aug.2014, 01:43 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (blackmambaza @ 24.Aug.2014, 01:30 PM) *
That's some valuable advice! Thanks. I knew I should have brought more stuff over from the UK. i'll definitely look out retailers that stock the padded clothing. I ... (show full quote)

Just about anywhere that sells clothes will sell winter gear, it'll be in stores real soon, I've already seen some jackets out. It depends on how posh you dress, my husband tends to go on the sporty side and he buys his winter jackets from Stadium or Intersport (you can get padded pants there too they are called överdragsbyxor). The last two jackets were Everest brand and he was very happy with them, but there are lots of brands in varying price points you just pick something you like. I usually buy my coats from womens fashion stores. As long as it's waterproof and doesn't let air in anywhere you should be ok. It can be tempting to get a nice fashionable jacket made of wool but they just aren't as practical and are best left for the spring.

I just bought my autumn rain gear today, 1400kr later but I'm outside a lot and ride my bike everywhere so it's worth it.
+
sv100
post 24.Aug.2014, 01:47 PM
Post #14

You are welcome .

Prepare yourself for the country & it's life .

Just to add , it's much better if you bring your UK driving license here .
+
blackmambaza
post 24.Aug.2014, 01:58 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Opalnera @ 24.Aug.2014, 01:43 PM) *
Just about anywhere that sells clothes will sell winter gear, it'll be in stores real soon, I've already seen some jackets out. It depends on how posh you dress, my h ... (show full quote)

Thanks for the tips. I will do a quick search for those stores. I don't think that I'll be shopping at the women's fashion stores smile.gif But I think my wife will.

I think that you are right, practicality is quite important when it comes to keeping warm. I had seen a lot of fashionable looking coats but really most are made of wool and after a bit of rain, they really don't last, or smell good after a while, yikes!

I will definitely look out for the items you had spoken about smile.gif

Do people get to use their bikes much during the winter? I'm guessing it may be a bit more dangerous because of the road conditions.

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description