• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Which supermarket would you shop at?

Spoilt for choice

blackmambaza
post 24.Aug.2014, 12:37 PM
Post #1

Hi there,

Having temporarily moved to Orminge until our apartment is ready on the 1st of September, we have come across a few supermarkets in the general area.

I know that this is similar to another post, but given that we have a Coop, Willys and Lidl near by, in your opinion, which would you rather shop at and what would the reason behind that be?

In terms of quality of goods and price, which would you rate as being superior to the others.

Regards
BM
Go to the top of the page
+
Opalnera
post 24.Aug.2014, 12:50 PM
Post #2

I would choose Willys for grocery items, it's the same brands you would normally find in Sweden but at a cheaper price. I often find fruit and vegetables can be a bit hit and miss at Willys, then I would go to a fresh food market or Coop or ICA.

I never shop at Lidl, but I'm a snob when it comes to food. It's just one of those things I'm not willing to compromise on quality.
+
blackmambaza
post 24.Aug.2014, 01:01 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Opalnera @ 24.Aug.2014, 12:50 PM) *
I would choose Willys for grocery items, it's the same brands you would normally find in Sweden but at a cheaper price. I often find fruit and vegetables can be a bit hit ... (show full quote)

Ah, thanks for that. I know what you mean about quality. That is the most important for us as well. It is great though that there are quite a few options here in Sweden. Coming from London, we are accustomed to lots of choices and very high prices, so we are quite glad that most of the everyday items over here are actually cheaper.

+
Opalnera
post 24.Aug.2014, 01:49 PM
Post #4

Yeah a lot of people complain about the price of groceries but I don't find it too bad at all. But then again I'm from Australia which is now the 4th most expensive country in the world, so even Sweden feels cheaper.
+
sv100
post 24.Aug.2014, 02:33 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Opalnera @ 24.Aug.2014, 12:49 PM) *
Yeah a lot of people complain about the price of groceries but I don't find it too bad at all. But then again I'm from Australia which is now the 4th most expensive c ... (show full quote)

The 4th most expensive , what about income , is it same as Sweden !
----

, Avoid groceries , it's created mainly for Tourists ,
but if you are out and nothing around you , so you can shop from them !

However , daily and weekly shopping for your house needs are recommended from GROSSEN & livsmedel which they are cover almost Stockholm län , and Probably Sweden . ( they have variances for their prices , not every thing cheap nor expensive but practically they are good )

Im not sure where you can find one near your city /street/home but they are available in many areas , just google ,.

Skärholmen , Kista ,,, many other locations ,,

Furthermore , Lidl & Willys are good , Ica & Hemköp are fair ,

Coop & coop extra are expensive ( probably like groceries )

Good luck
+
blackmambaza
post 24.Aug.2014, 03:08 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (sv100 @ 24.Aug.2014, 02:33 PM) *
The 4th most expensive , what about income , is it same as Sweden ! ----, Avoid groceries , it's created mainly for Tourists , but if you are out and nothing around yo ... (show full quote)

Thanks for that as well. I will keep that in mind. We will be living in Mälarhöjden from the 1st of September, so I will check for places close to that. I like the idea of getting fresh produce from local markets.
+
littleviking
post 24.Aug.2014, 03:12 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (blackmambaza @ 24.Aug.2014, 12:37 PM) *
Hi there,Having temporarily moved to Orminge until our apartment is ready on the 1st of September, we have come across a few supermarkets in the general area.I know that this ... (show full quote)

Lidl is quite good with prices, they have good options and in the end good products. The fresh bread is cheaper then other stores, they usually get meat from good suppliers and the dairy is quite nice also.
as a second option is Willys but at times its a hit or miss.
Coop and Ica depend on the area but they are more expensive.
If you want to save up money looking were a Netto and an Öob also are options.
Personally I look in the beginning of the week at the flyers but mostly Lidl, Netto and as a last resort Willys
+
sv100
post 24.Aug.2014, 03:31 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (blackmambaza @ 24.Aug.2014, 02:08 PM) *
Thanks for that as well. I will keep that in mind. We will be living in Mälarhöjden from the 1st of September, so I will check for places close to that. I like the idea of g ... (show full quote)

Mälarhöjden , T-bana , red line , ( if I'm not wrong )

So this will make you nearby to Skärholmen which is one of the best center for shops in Stockholm .
Prisma & lidl & other livsmedels, Öob,,,, are there ,,

You can also visit Kungskurva , where IKEA and more other shops will be available for almost all kinds of every thing .
+
blackmambaza
post 24.Aug.2014, 03:47 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (sv100 @ 24.Aug.2014, 03:31 PM) *
Mälarhöjden , T-bana , red line , ( if I'm not wrong ) So this will make you nearby to Skärholmen which is one of the best center for shops in Stockholm .Prisma & l ... (show full quote)

Yes I believe that it is on the red line. We did see an ICA when we were on the bus around that area as well. I'm glad to hear that atleast we have quite a choice with regards to getting groceries and stuff.

Thanks for the advice as well.
+
ChocOwl
post 24.Aug.2014, 05:28 PM
Post #10

If you join the supermarket customer club (free! except for Coop Medmera maybe) you usually get access to other discounted items.
Also, some supermarket chains have a system where you get a monthly rebate depending on how much you buy.
That's worth looking into when you settle in an area.
I know that Coop, ICA and Hemköp have clubs like this, not sure about the others.
+
Hisingen
post 24.Aug.2014, 05:59 PM
Post #11

If you have several 'supermarkets' in your vicinity, and a a good pair of legs coupled to a fair dose of patience, then shopping around between them will probably reduce your shopping bill a bit. Try to not go to the bigger markets on the outskirts of towns - since then you will need to add on the cost of travelling there.
As a pensioner, with plenty of time on my hands, I do shop around quite a lot, but it does save me quite a bit in the long run. You get to know which stores have the higher prices on certain goods, and those that have the lower prices on the same. You get their weekly persuasive 'bargain' listings in your letter box, which then allows for that extra bit of planning before setting out. There are times when a commodity can be several crowns cheaper in one store, such that sometimes a bit of bulk-buying can be advantageous, especially if that commodity is one you use frequently.
Being on a pension means the we have to watch the kronor and öre a bit more closely, hence the tendency to thrift, and it often pays good dividends - our shopping around.
+
Opalnera
post 24.Aug.2014, 07:53 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (sv100 @ 24.Aug.2014, 02:33 PM) *
The 4th most expensive , what about income , is it same as Sweden ! . ----

LOL no way, it's about twice as much.
+
Emerentia
post 24.Aug.2014, 10:06 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (sv100 @ 24.Aug.2014, 01:33 PM) *
Avoid groceries , it's created mainly for Tourists

What do you mean that groceries are for tourists? Don't all people shop groceries? Why would you avoid groceries? What do you eat if you don't buy any groceries? Do you only eat take out and at restaurants?
QUOTE (sv100 @ 24.Aug.2014, 01:33 PM) *
However , daily and weekly shopping for your house needs are recommended from GROSSEN & livsmedel which they are cover almost Stockholm län , and Probably Sweden

I've lived in Stockholm almost all my life and I've never heard of that Grossen you are talking about, so it's not a common food chain in Stockholms län and Sweden. It seems just be one store in Kista, about 1 hour journey from Orminge, called Kistagrossen.
+
Essingen55
post 25.Aug.2014, 09:42 AM
Post #14

I always shop at the Coop because they always have a special offer on every item ...buy one, pay for two. laugh.gif
+
Hallander
post 25.Aug.2014, 11:56 AM
Post #15

I've lived in Stockholm almost all my life and I've never heard of that Grossen you are talking about, so it's not a common food chain in Stockholms län and Sweden. It seems just be one store in Kista, about 1 hour journey from Orminge, called Kistagrossen.

City Gross ? There are certainly lots of them. http://www.citygross.se/Om-City-Gross/Vara-butiker/
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN