• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Ideal Country for Gay...?

*gohomo*
post 25.Dec.2006, 02:32 PM
Post #1

Which is the best country for gay people to live?

Is it Sweden? Norway? Germany? The Netherlands?

I have two more questions:

1. Which countries in the world accept gay marriage?
Sweden, The Netherlands? what else?

2. Which countries in the world accept gay sambo?
Is Sweden the only country?

Thanks & Wish all of you a Merry Christmas!
Go to the top of the page
+
*Torque*
post 25.Dec.2006, 03:20 PM
Post #2

Belgium, Spain and Britain allow gay marriage. Best? Depends on other things too, I imagine. Do you like the weather, the attitude of the people, the work opportunities, the landscape and so on.
+
Leonard
post 25.Dec.2006, 05:23 PM
Post #3

Canada was the second country in the world to allow gay marrige. We always take a lot of shit from our neighbour from the south for things like this.
+
Svampen
post 25.Dec.2006, 05:32 PM
Post #4

imo, best country for gays is Canada. least persecution there in cities like Toronto.

scandanavia is not exactly ... accepting among the general population who I have met.

the government claims they are, but the people, I dont think they are at all.
+
Danmc
post 25.Dec.2006, 06:50 PM
Post #5

Sweden has the 2nd largest percentage of gay marriage support amongst the population of the EU. 1st is the Netherlands. 3rd was Denmark.
+
Shark99 - The Great Catsb...
post 25.Dec.2006, 10:50 PM
Post #6

I think gays should have their own country, you know how we gave Jews their own Israel and stuff. It would be great, people can travel there and be on the down-low and everything without feeling guilty. It'd be the capital of fashionistas and have great barbershops and everybody would be marvelous. Why not?
+
*gohomo*
post 25.Dec.2006, 11:18 PM
Post #7

I totally agree,,, should discover and island somewhere in the pacific ocean.

laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Canada is the best? I always thought europe is better. how about the situation in Australia and New Zealands?
+
talktome
post 26.Dec.2006, 12:07 AM
Post #8

It depends on what you want. Australia does not support same-sex marriages. Sweden does. The problem is that with Sweden it's largely posturing. The very large majority of the population has not got the open-mindedness required to be comfortable with gay people in their midst.

In Australia we're totally aclimatised to gays. We have one of the best/largest very public gay festivals:

http://www.mardigras.org.au/

Strange for such a "blokey" bunch I know.
+
Danmc
post 26.Dec.2006, 12:10 AM
Post #9

Australia, or at least its govt, seems very anti-gay...you're always seeing anti-gay stuff on the news with stuff just as bad as from some parts of the US, from not just the govt but the public too. NZ has civil unions but Australia doesn't yet. Swedes themselves are hardly homophobic when it's over 70% supporting gay marriage.
+
Thebinary1
post 26.Dec.2006, 01:33 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Shark99)
I think gays should have their own country, you know how we gave Jews their own Israel and stuff. It would be great, people can travel there and be on the down-low and everything without feeling guilty. It'd be the capital of fashionistas and have great barbershops and everybody would be marvelous. Why not?

I disagree, it would actually be better for the world if gays and lesbians were given the seat of executive and absolute power of existing countries. As the link illustrates, less wars (if any) would result.

http://www.myfunlink.de/801.htm
+
Shark99 - The Great Catsb...
post 26.Dec.2006, 01:59 AM
Post #11

I disagree, it would actually be better for the world if gays and lesbians were given the seat of executive and absolute power of existing countries. As the link illustrates, less wars (if any) would result.

Ouch, that looked really painful. I'm starting to feel sorry for women around the world now smile.gif
+
talktome
post 26.Dec.2006, 05:21 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Danmc)
Australia, or at least its govt, seems very anti-gay...you're always seeing anti-gay stuff on the news with stuff just as bad as from some parts of the US, from not just the govt but the public too. NZ has civil unions but Australia doesn't yet. Swedes themselves are hardly homophobic when it's over 70% supporting gay marriage.

The Australian prime minister is very conservative and the law probably won't change with him in power. George Bush is the same.

But legislation is only a small part of the situation. If you're not accepted by society I suggest that has a much bigger impact on your quality of life.

Out of curiousity, where are the gay bars/clubs in Sweden? What are the known gay areas where all the gays live and you can go out and see gays shopping together at the supermarket or in the cafes?
+
post 26.Dec.2006, 11:28 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (talktome)
Out of curiousity, where are the gay bars/clubs in Sweden?

can't speak for sweden, but in the stockholm area they are generally spread out in the city, so not concentrated to any particular "gay area,"

QUOTE (talktome)
What are the known gay areas where all the gays live and you can go out and see gays shopping together at the supermarket or in the cafes?

since being gay isn't regarded as all that taboo (not to say everyone is ok with it, but people aren't openly anti-gay either) gay people live among straight, bi, non, overly etc sexual people. you might find slightly higher concentrations on södermalm or gamla stan, but that's more of a generalization rather than a known fact.

at least that's my impression via gay friends and neighbors.
+
*gohomo*
post 26.Dec.2006, 12:30 PM
Post #14

[quote="talktome"][quote=Danmc]Out of curiousity, where are the gay bars/clubs in Sweden? What are the known gay areas where all the gays live and you can go out and see gays shopping together at the supermarket or in the cafes?[/quote]

I knew there will be a party for gay people on the boat Patricia for new year.
actually every sunday night.
so are u going out on 12/31 night?
+
talktome
post 28.Dec.2006, 09:56 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (007)
since being gay isn't regarded as all that taboo (not to say everyone is ok with it, but people aren't openly anti-gay either) gay people live among straight, bi, non, overly etc sexual people. you might find slightly higher concentrations on södermalm or gamla stan, but that's more of a generalization rather than a known fact.

at least that's my impression via gay friends and neighbors.

I don't think that Swedes are openly anti- anything, they understand political correctness far too well. It's the passive-aggressive inference of what is socially normal that I'm pondering. It doesn't just extend to being gay either. Why is there a problem with discrimation based on names and job applications?
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options