Swedish woman sent to Denmark for child benefit

A woman in Sweden has been advised to go to Denmark to collect her child benefit, according to an article in SVD on Monday. The woman was informed last summer that her child benefit was to stop, and she had to turn to the council in Denmark, where her ex-husband pays his tax, for any further claims.

Although her ex-husband works in Denmark the woman has never lived there, and her children have grown up in Sweden. According to EU regulations dating back to the 1970s, benefits should not be linked to wherever you hold your citizenship, but to the country where you are registered as a full time employee.

If only one of the parents is working the benefit should be collected from the country where that parent is employed, explained SVD.

Sources: Svenska Dagbladet