Neo-Nazi faces damages claims "worth millions"
James Savage · 9 Jun 2005, 13:56
Published: 09 Jun 2005 13:56 GMT+02:00
A court in Helsingborg awarded damages of 10,000 kronor on Wednesday to one of the people on the list. The ruling is being seen as a test case, and sets a precedent for the way courts will deal with complaints from other people on the list.
The 27-year old, whose name has not yet been revealed, has already been convicted for breaking Swedish laws on privacy and data protection. He was found to have been keeping a list with names, telephone numbers and photos of 1,247 people. People were categorised as “Jewish”, “nigger” or “paedophile”.
People with left-wing sympathies were also singled out on the list, which was found together with a manual giving details of how people on the list could be terrorised.
According to Karlskrona news site sydostran.se, at least one person on the register has been forced into hiding.
The list was found when police were investigating the murder of union representative Björn Söderberg in 2000. It was saved on the computer of neo-Nazi Hampus Hellekant, one of those later convicted for the killing. The trail then led police to two other extreme right-wingers, including the 27-year old.
Three hundred people have so far started proceedings against the man. Swedish Radio says that Wednesday’s judgement means that all those whose details have been registered are entitled to damages.
Sigurd Heuman, chief judge at the district court in Helsingborg, said that most of those affected were demanding 10,000 kronor, and some wanted more than that.
“The total amount that the convicted man could have to pay could be very high,” he told SR.