SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

No pictures from Securitas camera

The investigation into Friday’s armed robbery at security firm Securitas’s depot in Jönköping received a setback on Tuesday when a security camera at the depot turned out not to contain any pictures.

“We have been told by Securitas that there are no pictures. I don’t know why that is – I don’t know whether the camera was not connected or whether this is due to something else,” said Lennart Gustafsson, who is leading the investigation at Jönköping police.

Parts of central Jönköping had to be evacuated during the robbery on Friday, in which four guards were threatened with automatic weapons and a car wired with explosives was left at the scene.

Gustafsson says the lack of footage is a major blow for the investigation.

“It would have been very good if we could have got some pictures.”

He said that police were now examining nearly 150 tips they had received from the public.

“We’ve been holding a number of interviews with witnesses, but at the moment we have no particularly strong leads.”

Two Saab cars believed to have been used in the robbery were found on Friday afternoon at a car park in Råslätt. Gustafsson says the cars could be important clues.

“The fact that we have the cars intact means we can look for leads. There are higher chances of finding something when the cars are intact.”

The robber who drove a pickup that was used to ram the depot wall is believed to have been injured.

“Our information is that the driver sustained a blow, but we have so far not found any traces of blood.”

Police are unsure how many robbers were involved in the heist.

“We are sure that there were at least six of them – the two who were seen in the car carrying the bomb and the two who were seen at the robbery itself,” says Gustafsson.

Police are looking for a red motorbike which came out of the car with the bomb and was seen heading towards Huskvarna.

TT/The Local

ALMEDALEN 2022

Attacker ‘severely disturbed’ during stabbing at Swedish political festival

Theodor Engström, the 33-year-old man who stabbed psychiatrist Ing-Marie Wieselgren to death at the Almedalen political festival in July, was seriously psychiatrically disturbed at the time of his attack, forensic psychiatrists have ruled.

Attacker 'severely disturbed' during stabbing at Swedish political festival

According to the Hela Gotland newspaper the Swedish National Board of Forensic Medicine has ruled that the man was so disturbed at the time of his attack he had lost the ability to understand the consequences of his actions, and has as a result recommended that he be given psychiatric treatment rather than a prison term.

The agency said that Engström had still been disturbed at the time he was given psychiatric assessment, and warned that there was a risk that Engström would commit further criminal acts. 

“This is a question which has relevance at a future stage,” said prosecutor Henrik Olin. “It means he cannot be sentenced to jail, but will instead receive psychiatric care. But it is not going to change how the investigation is carried out.” 

READ ALSO: What do we know about the Almedalen knife attack?

Engström stabbed Wieselgren, who worked as psychiatric coordinator for the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions, as she was on the way to take part on a discussion at the Almedalen political festival. She died in hospital later that day. 

Engström has admitted to carrying out the attack, telling police that he intended to make a protest against the state of psychiatric healthcare in Sweden. 

SHOW COMMENTS