“We are suspending all Swedish applications to adopt,” said Rostislav Zalesky, head of the Czech authority for international children’s rights, to Swedish TV.
Zalesky said he was upset by what had happened to the boy.
“It is such a horrible surprise,” he said.
The Czech authorities have so far not issued the formal temporary ban on adoptions to Sweden, but said that the decision would be made soon.
“It would be very unfortunate if this were to happen,” said Eva Jonasson, deputy chairwoman of Children Above All, the organisation that arranged the adoption.
She added that her organisation would now hand over as much relevant information about the events as possible to Czech officials.
The Czech adoption authorities expressed concern about the family and the boy’s depression in a letter to the Swedish adoption agency some months before he died. Children Above All says it forwarded this information to the local authority where the family lived.
The boy’s adoptive parents have said that they distrusted the health service, and therefore did not contact doctors in time. When the boy died on January 8th he had sores on several parts of his body and was suffering from necrosis on his genitals and feet, among other places.
He died of blood poisoning and pneumonia. If he had been treated in time he would have survived.
A spokeswoman for the local authority said they were unaware of the family’s distrust of the health service. If this had been known, then extra checks would have been carried out on the family, she claimed.
The parents, who are in their thirties, have been charged with manslaughter and causing grievous bodily harm. Both deny the charges.