Girl's feet amputated after infection
The Local · 4 May 2006, 09:19
Published: 04 May 2006 09:19 GMT+02:00
The girl suffered blood poisoning from the infection and doctors were forced to amputate her feet, an arm and a hand, reported Upsala Nya Tidning.
The bacteria which infected the girl were not of the same variety that led to meningitis in three young people in Västerås last month. One of them, a 17 year old girl, died.
The meningococcal bacteria can lead to meningitis, in which the lining of the brain and spinal cord become inflamed, or in its more deadly form septicemia, or blood poisoning.