“It was so disgusting. I’m never buying that brand again,” said Olsson.
After her close encounter with the insect world, she went back to to the shop. She was given her money back and was advised to call Axa, the company that had manufactured the product.
According to Axa’s development manager Ola Envall, since the company stopped using powerful chemicals, “such mishaps” crop up from time to time.
“In this case it was specific to that bag. We carry out spot checks and didn’t find anything out of the ordinary in that particular batch”, said Envall.