A post mortem examination carried out by the National Board of Forensic Medicine on Tuesday morning indicated that the two men were still alive when the fire started.
“This means that the men died in the car and that the suspicion of murder is no longer as strong,” said police spokesman Jan Staaf.
He also underlined however that police were not yet ruling out possible criminal involvement.
On Monday police traced the car’s owner to a town in western Sweden. The owner is known to police and has previously been convicted of a number of sex offences.
There are also indications that he had received a threat in the days preceding his death. The car has not been reported stolen.
“We have not been able to contact the owner of the car,” said police spokeswoman Sofia Karlsson.
The bodies were so badly burned that DNA tests and dental records will be required to identify them.