SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Sweden hands suspected Al-Qaeda man to Germany

German federal prosecutors said on Friday Sweden had extradited a 24-year-old Moroccan man who is suspected of having links to Al-Qaeda.

German prosecutors suspect Abdelali Miftah of recruiting radical Muslims to

fight US-led forces in Iraq last year.

He was arrested in Sweden in March after Germany issued an arrest warrant.

He was questioned by German prosecutors on Thursday as part of an investigation into a German-Moroccan man, identified only as Redouane E. H., who is being held in Germany on suspicion of trying to set up an Islamist cell in Sudan.

The aim of the cell was to conduct a holy war against “crusaders” on the orders of Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, a statement from the prosecutors’ office said.

With Redouane E. H. planning to go to Sudan, Miftah was to have taken over the role of recruiting fighters from eastern Germany and organising their passage to Iraq through Syria, prosecutors said.

German prosecutors said another man, Thaer A., a 32-year-old Moroccan who was extradited to Germany from Sweden in April, was also involved in the planning of the Sudan cell.

CRIME

Prosecutors charge Malmö student for killing two teachers

Swedish prosecutors said on Wednesday they had charged an 18-year-old student with two counts of murder after the March killing of two teachers at his school.

Prosecutors charge Malmö student for killing two teachers

“On March 21, an 18-year-old man attacked two female teachers at the Malmo Latin School with a knife and axe,” the Swedish Prosecution Authority said in a statement, adding that the two women had died from their injuries.

“Now the man, who himself was a student at the school, is charged with two counts of murder,” it continued.

The man was arrested shortly after the attack which took place at the creative arts high school, which has more than 1,000 students in Sweden’s third-biggest city Malmo in southern Sweden.

READ ALSO: 

Anders Elison, the accused’s lawyer, told AFP that his client has admitted to the killings since his arrest and continues to do so.

According to Elison, the young man had suffered from mental health issues and on the day he had entered the school thinking that he would not come out alive.

“He wanted to put himself in a situation where there was no turning back for him to continue his own life,” Elison said.

The trial will commence at the Malmo district court on July 20, according to Elison.

SHOW COMMENTS