Gas leak kills 16-year-old girl

A 16-year-old girl has died and two others are seriously injured following a gas leak at a summer house near Karlskoga in central Sweden.

A neighbour contacted emergency services at 10.30 pm on Sunday after finding three members of the same family unconscious in their cottage.

He immediately carried each of them outside when he noticed a strong smell of bottled gas.

The father of the household had phoned his neighbour for help after failing to make contact with his family.

The two family members who survived are said by hospital staff to be very seriously injured.

Local police are uncertain as to what may have caused the incident but have said that they do not suspect criminal intent.