Parents suspected of assaulting baby
TT/The Local · 23 Oct 2007, 16:55
Published: 23 Oct 2007 16:55 GMT+02:00
The parents, a 34-year-old man and 29-year-old woman, were released from custody on Saturday after the district court ruled that there was not enough evidence to merit detaining the pair.
But following an appeal by assistant prosecutor Joakim Eriksson, Svea Court of Appeal agreed to schedule a new hearing for Wednesday.
The baby girl was taken to Astrid Lindgren's children's hospital in Solna last week with a broken arm. But on closer inspection, doctors also found a series of older injuries which made them suspect that the girl had been the victim of a brutal assault.
After a senior physician reported his suspicions to the police, social welfare officers took over the care of the baby girl and her 20-month-old brother.
The father's lawyer, Göran Rangmar, said he "did not look kindly" on the appeal court's call for a new remand hearing.
"I would of course have preferred if the district court decision had been allowed to stand. But its the appeal court that decides and we will have to respect their decision. We have a hearing on Wednesday and we'll see what happens there," he told TT.