SHARE
COPY LINK

TAX

Sweden’s richest woman loses tax appeal

Antonia Ax:son Johnson, Sweden's richest woman, has lost a long-running battle with the tax authorities, and now faces paying wealth tax on 290 million kronor. The Supreme Administrative Court of Appeal denied her leave to appeal previous decisions from lower courts.

Ax:son Johnson, chairwoman of the Axel Johnson Group, had argued that 290 million kronor placed in company Axcessor in 2000 should not be liable for wealth tax.

The money had been placed in Axcessor as a shareholder contribution, but the tax authority rejected the construction. Ax:son Johnson has appealed the tax authority’s decision in both the district administrative court and the administrative court of appeal.

Wealth tax, which is 1.5 percent on fortunes over 1.5 million kronor, has been abolished by the current government. The abolition takes effect for the 2007 income year.

Antonia Ax:son Johnson was named the richest woman in Sweden by Veckans Affärer magazine, and she was included in Forbes’ list of the 100 most powerful women in the world. Her fortune was estimated as 20 billion kronor by Veckans Affärer.

BOMB

Denmark suspects two Swedes over explosion at tax authority

Two Swedish citizens are suspected in connection with last week’s explosion at the Danish Tax Agency. One of the two is in police custody.

Denmark suspects two Swedes over explosion at tax authority
Copenhagen Police superintendent Jørgen Bergen Skov addresses the press. Photo: Philip Davali / Ritzau Scanpix

Copenhagen Police superintendent Jørgen Bergen Skov confirmed the arrests to press on Wednesday morning.

“Both individuals are suspected of carrying out the detonation at the Tax Agency,” Skov said.

One man, aged 22, was arrested in Swedish city Malmö on Tuesday and will be extradited to Denmark. Once he reaches Copenhagen he will appear for preliminary court proceedings, which the prosecution will request take place behind closed doors.

Swedish newspaper Kvällsposten reports the 22-year-old has no previous criminal convictions in the country.

The second man, a 23-year-old, is yet to be detained but an international arrest warrant for him has been issued, Skov said.

“During the night, we also searched several addresses in Sweden. We hereby confiscated what we believe to be a car used by the suspects,” he said.

“We have one suspect on the loose, which means we must be careful about what we say, out of consideration for the investigation,” he added.

The superintendent did not add any detail about how police were able to connect the two individuals to the August 6th explosion.

Skov also stressed that police do not believe the tax authority blast to be connected to a similar incident at a police station in Copenhagen’s Nørrebro neighbourhood in the early hours of Saturday.

“There is nothing to suggest (a connection),” he said.

READ ALSO:

SHOW COMMENTS