Convicted killer turns to ombudsman over phone restrictions

Convicted killer turns to ombudsman over phone restrictions
Photo: Johan Nilsson/Scanpix
A man convicted of killing two young girls has turned to Sweden’s Ombudsman of Justice to appeal restrictions put in place after he sent letters to the family of one of his victims.

Ulf Olsson was convicted for the murders of 10-year-old Helén Nilsson and Jannicka Ekbladh in the southern Swedish town of Hörby in 1989.

He recently wrote two letters to his Nilsson’s family after her mother, in connection with the murder of Engla Juncosa Höglund, told the media how important Olsson’s trial was for helping her move forward with her life.

The letters led to telephone use restrictions for Olsson from doctors at the forensic psychiatric care facility in Sundsvall in northern Sweden where he is receiving care, reports the Skånska Dagbladet newspaper.

Now Olsson wants the matter to be reviewed by the Ombudsman of Justice (JO).

The motivation behind Olsson’s letter was that his resentment that Nilsson’s family called him a murderer.

“I was sentenced despite my denials, without technical evidence related to the crime of kidnapping and murder,” Olsson wrote in his complaint to the ombudsman.

Olsson decided to seek redress with the ombudsman after an attempt to appeal the doctors’ restrictions with prosecutors in Sundsvall proved unsuccessful.

“My point is that the prosecutor didn’t make an objective decision and that he, under the subjective influence of the character of the crimes for which I’ve been committed, chose to regard the doctors’ treatment of me as lawful,” writes Olsson.

He also explains that he wants the ombudsman to clarify which impartial and objective legal reasons the prosecutor used to back up his decision not to overturn the telephone restrictions.

Olsson was sentenced to court-ordered psychiatric care with special release conditions for the sexual murders Nilsson and Ekbladh. While the murders were committed in 1989, Olsson only began serving his sentence in 2005, following an affirming judgment by a court of appeals.

He has previously turned to the country administrative court to complain about the conditions at the psychiatric clinic at which he is being held.