Well-known artist beat 63-year-old to death

A well-known artist and illustrator has been detained in police custody on manslaughter charges after admitting she beat a 63-year-old acquaintance to death.

The man was killed on 18 July in his summer cottage outside Molkom in western Sweden. According to the female suspect, she acted in self-defense. However, she failed to report the incident and went on holiday with her son soon afterwards.

Meanwhile, the dead man’s live-in partner was desperately looking for her missing partner who seemed to have disappeared mysteriously. He had not told her where he was going and had simply driven off.

His decomposing body was finally discovered last Sunday in the summer cottage he shared with another person.

Police questioned the dead man’s circle of friends and acquaintances, including the accused woman. Prosecutor Barbro Brännlund told Expressen newspaper that it soon become evident that the suspect was withholding the truth.

On Friday, the suspect admitted to killing the man with a hammer, but according to her lawyer Ingalena Bjellman, this was self-defense.

However, the suspect is unable to explain why she didn’t report the incident to police straight away. Instead, she drove the man’s car away from his cottage and dumped the weapon in a rubbish container.

The woman has no earlier convictions and is a respected member of the community. As a suspect, her identity is protected under Swedish law.

The prosecution had requested a murder charge but the court chose to charge the suspect with manslaughter.


Man jailed for throwing stone at policeman in Sweden’s Easter riots

A 30-year-old man has been jailed for six months for throwing a stone at a policeman during one of the riots that swept Sweden over Easter.

Man jailed for throwing stone at policeman in Sweden's Easter riots

The man was found guilty of “violent rioting” and “attempted violence against an officer” for his behaviour during a riot in the Stockholm suburb of Rinkeby on Good Friday. 

The sentence by the Solna District Court marks the first ruling connected with the unrest, which followed a series of Koran-burnings carried out by the Danish far-Right activist Rasmus Paludan. 

Although the man was found guilty of taking part in the riot, the court ruled that there was no evidence he was an organiser or instigator of the violence. 

“Many people were active and the crowd rushed back and forth for a long time. There has been no indication that [his] actions had any effect on the crowd “, the court wrote in its judgement. 

Although he threw a stone, it did no damage as the policeman managed to duck in time. 

READ ALSO: Swedish police say riots are ‘extremely serious crimes against society’

The police had requested SEK 10,000 in damages, but the court refused to award any, arguing that violence was to be expected at such a large riot. 

“This was a situation where the police had a clear reason to expect to be met by some violence, and can be assumed to have been prepared for this,” the court wrote.