SHARE
COPY LINK

KIDNAPPING

Court hands down suspended sentence in captive woman case

The 58-year old man charged with holding his girlfriend captive in a cabin for nine years, was given a suspended sentence on Thursday for abuse and molestation.

Court hands down suspended sentence in captive woman case

Charges that he was holding the woman against her will did not stand up in the Eksjö district court where the trial took place.

The result was not unexpected, as the man had already been released from custody when the trial concluded two weeks ago after having been detained since early September.

Prosecutors had wanted the man to receive a three and a half year prison sentence for gross violation of a woman’s integrity and unlawful deprivation of liberty.

The case received a great deal of attention when police arrested the man. The woman, who was gravely ill and emaciated, was taken to hospital at the time of the man’s arrest.

The man had been reported for abusing the woman but the investigation also looked into whether he had kept her locked up against her will in a small cabin outside of Eksjö.

The fact that the man was living under an assumed name and had been declared dead didn’t make the matter any simpler.

The investigation also dealt with the officer who had been sitting on a report about the man’s abuse for several months without arresting him.

The matter has been taken up by a division of the Swedish Prosecution Authority which investigates police misconduct, and a decision regarding possible charges is expected shortly, according to prosecutor Björn Ericson who heads up the division.

FLOOD

Downpour floods roads, blocks off hospital

A heavy rainfall in central southern Sweden on Friday morning flooded a main highway and blocked off access to a local hospital.

Downpour floods roads, blocks off hospital

“There is truly a lot of water, there are several tens of centimetres in some places,” Henrik Dovrén of the Jönköping emergency services told the Aftonbladet newspaper.

The rising water levels blocked off access to the Jönköping Hospital, and emergency cases have had to be forwarded to other hospitals in Eksjö and Värnamo.

It also prevented access to several large stores in the area, including an Ikea and a Biltema, with sewage water gushing up into the stores, reported the local Jönköpings Posten newspaper.

Emergency workers are currently busy pumping water from the affected shopping centres and buildings.

“We have a number of incidents that we are working on simultaneously,” Dovrén told Aftonbladet.

Over 400 households in the area have lost electricity. A local hotel, the Jönköping Hotell, reported that its cellar had flooded.

Meanwhile, the E4 motorway is covered in water and traffic was at a standstill in the later hours of Friday morning.

TT/The Local/og

Follow The Local on Twitter

SHOW COMMENTS