Failed party trick lands Swedish man in burn unit

A Swedish man’s attempt to impress his girlfriend on Friday night backfired, putting him in the hospital with serious burn injuries and facing allegations of endangering the public.

The woman told police in Västervik in south eastern Sweden that her boyfriend poured gasoline over his arm and set the fuel on fire.

“It obviously didn’t go well. He burned his arm and other parts of his body and was in a state of shock,” said Kalmar police spokesperson Reine Johansson to the TT news agency.

“Don’t ask me what the point of the trick was supposed to be.”

The 33-year-old man was taken via ambulance to the hospital in Västervik.

According to police he will likely need specialized care at the burn clinic of Linköping University Hospital.

Following the failed stunt, the man is also under suspicion for negligence which endangers the public.

Police add that they have no reason to believe the man’s burns resulted from actions other than those described by his girlfriend.

“We haven’t been able to talk with him yet; his condition is too bad to allow it. But we naturally plan to do so as soon as possible,” said Johansson.