Police identify Casino Cosmopol shooter
TT/The Local · 28 Dec 2008, 07:24
Published: 28 Dec 2008 07:24 GMT+01:00
- Casino gunman remains on the loose (26 Dec 08)
- Police hunt for casino gunman (25 Dec 08)
- Three shot at Stockholm casino (25 Dec 08)
“It’s a 23-year-old Swede who resides in Stockholm,” said police spokesperson Lars Bröms to the TT news agency.
Bröms has been leading police efforts to arrest the man suspected of attempted murder.
The suspect remained at large as of early Sunday morning, as police issued a nationwide alert for the 23-year-old amid continuing efforts to locate the suspect.
The identity of the suspected shooter was established Saturday night following an intensive police review of security camera videos and photographs, as well as the collection of several tips from witnesses.
Shortly after 9:00pm on Saturday evening, the prosecutor on duty decided to issue an arrest warrant for the 23-year-old suspect.
Bröms doesn’t believe the man has left the country.
“Not yet,” he said.
Bröms added that he is hopeful that police will be able to arrest the 23-year-old, whom they have sought unsuccessfully at a number of different addresses.
State-run gaming monopoly Svenska Spel, which operates the casino, has no comment on the arrest warrant.
“It’s a police investigation and we have not comment on it whatsoever,” said Casino Cosmopol spokesperson Nina Ehnhage.
It was a few minutes before midnight on Christmas Eve when the man pulled out a gun and fired three shots into the entrance of Casino Cosmopol. The man, who witnesses described as being in his early twenties with light-coloured hair, had been denied entry to the club earlier in the evening.
Three people – two female guests and a male security guard – were hit by the bullets. The women, ages 47 and 28, were taken to St. Göran’s Hospital with minor injuries after being hit in the arm and leg, respectively.
The 36-year-old security guard was hit in the stomach and taken to Karolinksa University Hospital with what police also described as minor injuries.
There were approximately 300 people at the club at the time of the shooting, which remained closed through Christmas, but re-opened for business on Friday.