Prosecutor abandons teen suicide rape case
TT/The Local · 14 Apr 2009, 13:13
Published: 14 Apr 2009 13:13 GMT+02:00
Erik Schreiber decided to close the case against a 42-year-old man as news of the girl's tragic death was confirmed just hours before the trial was about to begin last week.
As the prosecutor's case was based exclusively on the testimony of the teenager, Schreiber decided that there was no alternative but to close the case and release the man.
Schreiber announced that he had asked the courts to examine his own decision to close the case.
"Even if nothing new has emerged in the case, I have decided to send in a request for a review of the decision," Shreiber told Jönköpings-Posten on Monday
On Tuesday the prosecutor announced furthermore that he was withdrawing from the case on the grounds that there had been excessive focus on his role and him individually, Schreiber told Sveriges Radio Jönköping.