SHARE
COPY LINK

MEDICAL

Swedish surgeon forgets swabs in sewn up mum

A Swedish doctor has been cautioned after forgetting to remove two cloth swabs when sewing up a woman who had recently given birth at Sahlgrenska University Hospital in Gothenburg.

The doctor was cautioned by the public health disciplinary board (Hälsö- och sjukvårdens ansvarsnämnd – HSAN) for the oversight when stitching up the woman. A midwife at the hospital was also cited.

The new mum suffered infection and fever in the days after giving birth and approached the health services.

A first swab was then found and removed but the woman continued to suffer discomfort. A second swab was then located and removed 11 days later.

Neither the doctor nor the midwife have taken responsibility for the mistake. They both claim that the cloth swabs, used to dry away excess fluids, were forgotten as a result of a miscommunication.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

MEDICAL

Woman dies hours after ambulance no-show

A hospital has been reported to the National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) after it chose against sending an ambulance to a woman with breathing problems who died hours later from blood clotting to her lungs.

Woman dies hours after ambulance no-show

Emergency workers from the Södra Älvsborg Hospital in southern Sweden suspected the patient, who was in her forties, was simply suffering from stomach flu when she called complaining of breathing problems, diarrhoea, and fever.

They chose against picking her up, advising the woman to stay at home, where she died several hours later, shortly after another ambulance arrived.

The coroner’s report showed that the woman died from blood clotting to her lungs, according to the Borås Tidning newspaper, something the nurses couldn’t have known from the woman’s own evaluation.

“It’s a tricky case, very unusual,” Jerker Isacson, chief of medicine at the hospital, told the paper.

The incident occurred earlier in the year when winter flu was in full force, and the emergency workers were overloaded with call outs.

The hospital itself has now reported the incident to the National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) in accordance with Sweden’s Lex-Maria laws, the informal name for regulations governing the reporting of injuries and incidents in the healthcare system.

“We want it to be evaluated and to investigate ourself how the paramedics acted the first time. We don’t know if it was the right judgment when they were there. The nurses made no obvious mistakes or errors,” Isacson said.

“The patient had good information but we want to be as sure as possible that something similar will not happen again.”

TT/The Local/og

Follow The Local on Twitter

SHOW COMMENTS