Even though doctors at the Västerås hospital knew that the baby was infected with the highly infectious Klebsiella bacteria, they did not immediately move the baby, according to the report.
Another baby in the same ward was infected with the deadly bacteria – probably before the infected baby was moved – the paper claims. The baby died within one week.
A total of three newborn babies have died at Västerås hospital following infection with the Klebsiella strain of multiresistant bacteria which attacks the intestines. The children died in early August after being infected with the bacteria at the hospital’s ward for newborns with illnesses and babies born prematurely.
The hospital has earlier claimed that the ward had been closed as soon as the bacteria were discovered, that tests were immediately taken, and that those who did not carry the bacteria were moved.
“They cared for the baby for almost an entire day in the same ward,” Peter Jotorp, senior doctor at the children’s clinic, told Aftonbladet.
According to established guidelines for dealing with infectious diseases, patients that are infected with resistant bacteria must be isolated. Doctors at the Västerås hospital are not able to explain why that did not occur in this instance.
The deaths are to be reported in accordance with Lex Maria, the informal name used for regulations governing the reporting of injuries or other incidents within the Swedish health care system.