Arrest made in ferry terminal robbery

Ferries from Stockholm to Finland were delayed on Friday after two armed men stormed the Viking Line terminal in the Swedish capital. Police have arrested one of the suspects.

Arrest made in ferry terminal robbery

The men entered the building through a back window and were armed with a gun and crowbar.

Employees were able to raise the alarm while the robbery at the check-in desk was ongoing.

The pair escaped in a stolen car and opened fire when a police chase ensued. No one was injured in the incident.

Police eventually lost trace of the vehicle, which was later found abandoned south of the city in Örnsberg.

One of the suspects was arrested in a nearby building but the search for his accomplice continues. A further person was taken in for questioning by police on Friday and later released.

A weapon and a bag of money were found in a forest area close to the stolen vehicle.

No passengers were believed to have noticed the robbery but a number of Viking Line employees received counselling advice from the Red Cross after the incident.

The robbery resulted in delays to ferry traffic on Friday but no routes had to be cancelled.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Grounded Finland ferry refloated and heading back to port

UPDATE: A ferry that ran aground next to islands between Finland and Sweden with nearly 430 crew and passengers on board, was refloated and heading for port, its owners said Sunday.

Grounded Finland ferry refloated and heading back to port
The Viking Line ship Grace hit rocks in in the Aland archipelago. Photo AFP

The Viking Line's “Grace” hit rocks on Saturday afternoon while sailing between the Finnish port of Turku and the Swedish capital Stockholm, shortly before a stopover in Mariehamn, in the Aland archipelago, Finland's coast guard said.

The passengers had to spend the night on board, though there was no immediate danger as it was not taking on water. No one was hurt in the incident.

A tug boat helped refloat the ferry in the small hours of Sunday morning, the coast guard said on Twitter.

After disembarking around 260 passengers at Mariehamn, it went on to its home port of Turku in Finland, a Viking Line spokeswoman told AFP Sunday. It would undergo repairs in the coming days, she added.

Although the cause of the accident has yet to be established, the coast guard said there were strong winds in the area at the time.

The company cancelled its Saturday ferry service, which was to have been taken by a smaller vessel, because of a storm warning.

In September, another Viking Line ferry, the Amorella, ran aground on the same Aaland Island and the passengers had to be evacuated.