No suspects in attack against Malmö mosque
TT/The Local · 2 Jan 2010, 09:18
Published: 02 Jan 2010 09:18 GMT+01:00
- Crime figures falling in Rosengård: police (18 Dec 09)
- Minaret ban favoured by one in four Swedes: poll (03 Dec 09)
- One in five kids in Malmö live in poverty: report (23 Nov 09)
Nobody was seriously injured during the incident. The imam was taken to hospital to treat minor cuts from glass splinters, but he was not struck by a bullet. He was allowed to leave the hospital after his cuts were bandaged.
Around five people, including the imam, were in an office following the evening prayers.
“The imam was sitting in front of the computer when (we heard) a bang. At first I thought there had been an explosion,” one of the witnesses told Sydsvenskan newspaper.
Bejzat Becirov, head of the Islamic Center, said that he doesn't believe the shots were aimed at a particular individual but rather at the mosque.
“We receive threats all the time. Unfortunately, we have become immune to it. Despite all the incidents, the police have never arrested anyone,” he told TT news agency.
The incident is classifed as attempted murder or aggravated assault.
Police currently have little to go on in their investigation. “We are looking for information from witnesses,” police information officer Cindy Schönström-Larsson said.
“Knocking on doors doesn't work. The mosque is located by itself and there are no other buildings around,” she added.
The Swedish Muslim Association (Sveriges Muslimska Förbund) said in a statement that they take the attack very seriously. The mosque in Malmö has reportedly been the target of several cases of attempted arson over the last ten years.
“These criminals are being driven by islamophobia. The police must protect (Sweden's) mosques and their followers against racist threats,” Mahmoud Aldebe, head of the association, said.